Three separate water rescues took place over the Folk on the Rocks weekend.
NWT RCMP helped several people who ended up getting stranded on Long Lake.
Three people were rescued on Saturday, July 15th from an inflatable island and an inflatable flamingo that had drifted away from shore.
Two boats were also towed back to shore as a result of failed engines.
NWT RCMP have provided list of emergency tips for travelling on large bodies of water:
- If you cannot swim and want to cool down, stay out of the water and seek shade instead.
- Wear a personal floatation device at all times. Tragedy can strike in an instant. Don’t assume that you will have time to put on a lifejacket.
- Watch your speed. Don’t race to the lake and don’t race on the lake. Speed is a major contributor to incidents on the roadways and on the water.
- If you are going to a less-traveled area, let someone know where you are going and when you expect to return.
- Always remember that alcohol and water don’t mix. Impaired driving laws are the same for operating a boat as they are of a vehicle.