Heater plate causes structure fire at Prelude Lake Monday

(Photo courtesy NWT Parks.)
- Advertisement -

No one was hurt after a cabin at Prelude Lake Main burned to the ground Monday morning.

At around 8:35 a.m., the Yellowknife Fire Division was dispatched to the area following reports of a structure fire. According to the city, the caller told dispatchers that “the underside of the home was engulfed in flames”.

A five-person crew, a pumper truck and an ambulance were sent to the scene. When they arrived, the cabin was reportedly in the final stages of free burn. Only the back porch was left standing.

The pumper truck was unable to reach the house because of the size of the road leading to it. Instead, hose lines were stretched to reach the fire.

While a 3,700 liter propane tank a few meters from the cabin had its valve melted from the heat, a second structure seven meters away was smoking but still standing when the fire division arrived and only sustained minimal damages.

According to the city, the fire was caused by a heater placed under the cabin to thaw frozen drain pipes.

- Advertisement -