Aurora College’s main Yellowknife campus will reopen at 8:30am Thursday after a chemical leak.
The campus at the Northern United Place building was closed for much of Wednesday due to a significant leak of propylene glycol – an antifreeze used in the building’s boiler system. The spill was the result of a valve exploding on Tuesday night.
But school officials now say classes will take place as scheduled Thursday following an investigation by the Worker’s Safety and Compensation Commission (WSCC).
“An investigation by the WSCC indicates that there were no immediate health risks posed by a propylene glycol leak that occurred in the building Tuesday night,” read a Facebook post from the college Wednesday night.
“However, the decision was made to err on the side of caution and close the facility until a positive report was received from WSCC.
“The propylene glycol itself is not considered a health or safety risk, but an unpleasant odour as a result of glycol burning in the boiler system caused irritation for some students and staff.”
The college also admits that some of its offices were damaged because of the leak. Staff who work in the areas affected will be temporarily relocated while repairs are made.
“Cleaning, sanitizing, and remediation of all affected areas were initiated by the building’s management and will be ongoing until completed.
“We will continue to work with WSCC and the building’s management until this issue is resolved.”