Six residents of Northwest Territories were celebrated last night at the NWT Recreation and Parks Association Awards Banquet at the Explorer Hotel in Yellowknife. The six residents were being recognized for their continuing efforts and achievements in promoting recreation and active living for all Northerners.
The award winners includes;
- Award of Excellence – Arthur Taylor (Fort Smith)
- Innovation Award – Beth Hudson (for her work in Fort Providence)
- Scott McAdam Youth Leadership Award – Christina Bonnetrouge (Fort Providence) and Wilson Elliot (Yellowknife)
- Active Elder Award – Eunice Nasogaluak (Tuktoyaktuk)
- Canadian Parks and Recreation Association Award of Merit – Tony Devlin (Inuvik)
NWTRPA Executive Director Geoff Ray says that there are many leaders in recreation in the territory.
“Whether they’re a recreation coordinator, volunteer, lifeguard, or an elder, the Awards are our way of showing those individuals that their work is important and appreciated.”
The awards banquet was part of a busy week for the NWTRPA as they hold their conference. Today is the final day of their conference, and their AGM.