Yellowknife, NWT – The Territorial Court of the Northwest Territories has placed a set of conditions on convicted sex offender Travis Casaway following his return to Yellowknife.
The 27-year-old was the subject of an RCMP public warning on Thursday, advising residents that Casaway posed “a risk of significant harm to the public”. RCMP said public safety outweighed Casaway’s right to privacy.
That warning followed a letter issued by Yellowknife Catholic Schools earlier in the week, drawing parents’ attention to a violent sex offender’s return to the city and asking them to take appropriate precautions for their children’s safety.
Though the letter did not refer to Casaway by name, the school district later confirmed he had been the individual in question.
Casaway sexually assaulted an 11-year-old and a 12-year-old on the city’s Frame Lake trail in 2002. He was 15 at the time of the offences, for which he spent five years in jail and a further five years under supervision in Edmonton.
On Friday, following Casaway’s return to Yellowknife, RCMP issued a new statement setting out a list of court-ordered conditions by which he must now abide.
Those conditions – reproduced in full below – include a ban on contact with any person under the age of 16 years, excluding immediate and extended family.
Other conditions include reporting to probation services by noon on Tuesday, October 14, refraining from alcohol and illegal drugs, and a ban on attending any public park or public swimming area where people aged under 16 could reasonably be expected to be present.
The RCMP statement reiterated: “Releasing this information is not intended to encourage people to engage in any form of vigilante action.
“This type of public warning is not meant to raise the level of fear in the public, but to raise awareness about an individual who is reintegrating into our community.”
In a separate statement, RCMP also noted the public warning about Casaway had “generated an increased level of concern” in Yellowknife, urging residents to take “reasonable measures to make themselves street safe”.
The full list of conditions imposed on Casaway by the territorial court is as follows:
· Keep the Peace and be of good behavior
· Report to probation Services by noon on Tuesday, October 14, 2014, in Yellowknife NT, and thereafter as and when directed
· Advise the RCMP in Yellowknife, NT, or any other jurisdiction you will reside of your address, place of work and any educational institution you may be involved in, and promptly advise the RCMP or local police of any changes to address, work or school
· Not to go to any place where alcohol is sold or dispensed as the primary function of the establishment
· Not to possess or consume or ingest in any way any alcohol or illegal drugs
· Prohibited from:
Attending a public park or public swimming area where persons under the age of 16 years are present or can reasonably be expected to be present, or attend at any daycare center, school ground, playground or community center, including any public library in the City of Yellowknife, NT
Seeking, obtaining or continuing any employment, whether or not the employment is remunerated, or becoming or being a volunteer in a capacity, that involves being in a position of trust or authority towards persons under the age of 16 years
Having any contact – including communicating by any means – with a person who is under the age of 16 years, except any member of your family, immediate or extended
· You are permitted to use the internet, so long as it is not in any way that will conflict with any condition of this recognizance or for any sexual purpose
CJCD Moose FM News