100.1 GO FM - We're Your Feel Good Pop Station

265 active COVID-19 cases in the NWT

Update 3:47 p.m.: The Explorer Hotel is the latest site in Yellowknife to be included on the GNWT’s growing exposure notifications.

Anyone who was in any of the hotel areas from August 19 to 23 should self-monitor for symptoms.

The GNWT also updated its notice regarding flights from Yellowknife to Gameti.

All three flights on August 22 from Yellowknife to Gameti have been listed as exposure notices.

There is a long list of exposure notices in place. Click here for more information.

There are 18 new cases of COVID-19 in the NWT, bringing the total number of cases related to the Sahtu outbreak to 265.

There are three new cases in Yellowknife, with 12 in Norman Wells, one in Gamètì, one in Colville Lake and one in Behchokǫ̀, the first in the community.

The total number of active hospitalizations in the territory is less than ten.

The Office of the Chief Public Health Officer says the beginning of community transmission is occurring in Yellowknife and that every public space in the city should be considered a potential exposure location.

Masks were made mandatory in all public spaces in the NWT on Thursday.

The containment orders in place in Colville Lake and Fort Good Hope were also extended to Sept. 4.

Bailey Moreton
Bailey Moreton
Bailey is new to the north, arriving from Ottawa where he studied journalism at Carleton University. He has worked for newspapers in Halifax, Windsor, and Ottawa. He came to the north hoping to see polar bears. He will settle for a bison. If you have a tip, send it to 905 252-9781, or [email protected].

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Yellowknife group calls out for support on No More Loopholes Act

A local advocacy group are calling on territorial and federal leaders to stand behind a proposed law aimed to prevent unregulated weapons and weapon component exports into the U.S. The group is hoping that leaders will back Bill C-233 to help prevent the unregulated movement of weapons.

Federal Environment Minister warns health of Mackenzie River Basin at risk

In an announcement issued last week, federal Environment Minister Julie Dabrusin acknowledged that the critical basin is facing “water quality, quantity” challenges due to industrial activities and climate change. "[T]he health of the river basin is challenged by impacts to water quality, quantity and traditional use due to industrial activities, and by climate change impacts such as increasing sediment from melting permafrost and changes to aquatic species,” said Minister Dabrusin.

Power outages in Fort McPherson and Inuvik

Two northern communities in the NWT experienced power outages this morning, but both issues have been resolved according to the Northwest Territories Power Cooperation. 

Areas of NWT’s north and south facing wind chill values as low as -60

Environment Canada has issued extreme cold alerts for northern and southern areas of of the N.W.T. with wind chill temperatures as low as minus 60 forecasted to extend into mid week.“A period of very cold wind chills near minus 50 will begin tonight and continue until Wednesday or Thursday,” read a message from forecasters with the agency

Young women and gender diverse leaders wanted in the North

The YWCA NWT and the Fora Network for Change are co-hosting two public events this week focused on advancing “equitable, inclusive” leadership opportunities for young women and gender diverse leaders in the North.