Inuvik flight exposure risk updated to include more rows

The number of rows on the flight to Inuvik that may have been exposed to COVID-19 have been expanded.

The Office of the Chief Public Health Officer said in a statement people in rows 13 to 20  on Canadian North flight number 5T 244 on April 24 between Edmonton and Yellowknife may have been exposed to COVID-19 and should self-isolate.

The other portion of the advisory remains the same. People who were on the Yellowknife to Norman Wells leg of the flight, between rows 7 to 13 or the Norman Wells to Inuvik position between rows 7 to 13, should also self-isolate.

One case in Inuvik was reported.

Infrastructure Minister Diane Archie was on the flight to Inuvik, but has already tested negative for the virus.

“It is an uneasy feeling being told I may have been exposed to COVID-19 and that the virus is in Inuvik, but I take comfort in the fact that the public health orders that are in place have been working for over a year,” Archie said in a statement. 

“I am confident that if we all continue to follow the public health measures we can help decrease the spread of the virus across our territory, and eventually get back to doing the things we love.”

This case brings the number of active COVID-19 cases in the NWT to nine. Six are in Yellowknife, two in Fort Smith and one in Inuvik.

There have been 86 cases of COVID-19 connected to the NWT, including 29 non-resident NWT workers and six NWT residents who contracted the virus outside the territory.

Bailey Moreton
Bailey Moreton
Bailey is new to the north, arriving from Ottawa where he studied journalism at Carleton University. He has worked for newspapers in Halifax, Windsor, and Ottawa. He came to the north hoping to see polar bears. He will settle for a bison. If you have a tip, send it to 905 252-9781, or [email protected].

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Early Childhood Infrastructure Fund split into separate funding streams

The Government of the Northwest Territories has announced that the Early Childhood Infrastructure Fund will now be split into three distinct funding streams.

Ministers congratulate new Major Project Review Tool

Ministers Jay Macdonald, Caitlin Cleveland, and Caroline Wawzonek have released a statement following the launch of the Mackenzie Valley Environmental Impact Review Board’s new Regional Database and Major Project Review Tool last week.

Tests at Łutsel K’e Dene School show safe drinking water

Water testing for the Łutsel K’e Dene School has been completed, showing lead levels below the maximum acceptable level in all water fixtures.

Northern Distance Learning Program plans to expand in upcoming school year

The Northwest Territories’ Northern Distance Learning Program has undergone an evaluation to help guide improvements to the program, improving student access to virtual high school programming.

Yellowknife Kidney Walk to be held this weekend

The Kidney Foundation of Canada will be holding the annual Yellowknife Kidney walk this Sunday, May 24.