Listen Live
HomeNewsNWT NewsIn-person classes returning at Aurora College

In-person classes returning at Aurora College

A majority of students at Aurora College will have the option of returning to in-person learning this fall. 

Classes will still be offered online for the 2021-2022 school year, but officials say most classes will be offered in-person, with several conditions. 

A maximum of 20 students will be in a class at a time.

Aurora College said “face-to-face delivery will meet all requirements of the Office of the Chief Public Health Officer”, including physical distancing of at least two metres, the use of non-medical masks, and frequent hand washing.

- Advertisement -

Jayne Murray, a spokesperson for Aurora College says the institution’s rules on masks in classrooms mirror current CPHO guidelines. Meaning masks would be mandated when physical distancing is not possible.

She adds while details have not been finalized, limiting class sizes to twenty students may limit the number of people who can enrol in a particular course.

“Some courses may be limited to 20 or fewer students; some classes may use alternating or multiple time slots; some courses may offer both in-person and online learning options,” she said in an email. “Our plan is to have as many students as possible learning in-person at our campuses and community learning centres, while we also ensure their health, safety, and wellbeing.”

Online classes have proven difficult to adapt to for some students, namely due to the high internet costs in the territory.

Aurora College President Andy Bevan said he was happy to offer residents face-to-face learning again.

- Advertisement -

“Students and instructors have shown tremendous resilience adapting to distance learning during this past year,” he says.

“The college is pleased to welcome returning and new students to in-person learning sooner than many other post-secondary institutions.”

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading

All