100.1 GO FM - We're Your Feel Good Pop Station

Wastewater sampling detects no further COVID-19 transmission in YK: CPHO

Wastewater sampling results suggested there was no further transmission of COVID-19 in Yellowknife.

Dr. Kami Kandola, the territory’s Chief Public Health Officer said the reduced signal traces of the virus found in wastewater samples conducted up to December 9 meant it was likely there wouldn’t be an increase in COVID-19 cases, beyond the five found reported last week.

Public health completed 800 COVID-19 tests in four days, as a surge of people got tested at the CPHO’s urging. Kandola said the team was able to manage the surge well.

“People worked extended hours, and it was an adequate response, an excellent response to seeing an increase in wastewater signal, but it can’t be the norm,” said Kandola. “We cannot be living in a ‘surge mode’ every single day. We have to restrict those periods when we call staff to go above and beyond and work many overtime hours.”

Testing of the samples was done in batches to cut down wait times on for results and was done free of charge by Indigenous Services Canada.

“The partnership has been incredibly fruitful and it will continue,” Mike Westwick, communications manager for the GNWT’s COVID-19 response, said in an email. ”It’s a very effective way to pick up signs of virus when we otherwise may not through diagnostic testing alone so we can take decisive action as we did in Yellowknife.”

Continuing wastewater sampling is one of several steps the GNWT is taking to manage the expected surge in COVID-19 tests that will need to be conducted during the Holiday period.

Kandola added the territory is planning to roll out Panbio antigen testing kits before Christmas, as well as using the Abbot ID testing machines in Hay River, Behchokǫ̀, Norman Wells, Fort Simpson, Fort Smith. Those kits will provide “point-of-care” testing, with results from those machines being confirmed at either Stanton Hospital in Yellowknife or in Inuvik.

The territorial government will also be conducting targeted screening, focusing on high-risk workers, like healthcare professionals and RCMP officers. The last step is reiterating to NWT residents the importance of avoiding non-essential travel.

“Do you really need to do that non-essential trip now? Can you just wait a little while longer until we can all get our first dose and second dose,” Kandola said. “I’m literally saying weeks.”

Bailey Moreton
Bailey Moreton
Bailey is new to the north, arriving from Ottawa where he studied journalism at Carleton University. He has worked for newspapers in Halifax, Windsor, and Ottawa. He came to the north hoping to see polar bears. He will settle for a bison. If you have a tip, send it to 905 252-9781, or [email protected].

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

65 year old in custody after alleged robbery at Dollarama in Yellowknife

A 65 year old suspect remains in custody after police received a report of an armed robbery yesterday at Dollarama in Yellowknife. On Feb. 16 Yellowknife RCMP received a report that a suspect had allegedly “pulled a knife” on staff reportedly fleeing on foot with a “quantity” of merchandise from the store.

Yellowknife RCMP take youth suspect into custody after firearms complaint

Yellowknife RCMP have taken a youth suspect into custody following a firearms complaint.

New program hopes to assist youth in crisis in Yellowknife

Home Base Yellowknife, Yellowknife Education District No. 1, Yellowknife Catholic Schools, and the Government of the Northwest Territories are collaborating on the Home Base Stabilization Education Program (STEP).

A 13 year old Indigenous youth is missing from Behchokǫ̀

A 13 year old Indigenous youth who was last seen leaving his home in Behchokǫ̀ at 4 pm yesterday is missing. Police are asking the public for information to help locate him.

Yellowknife group calls out for support on No More Loopholes Act

A local advocacy group are calling on territorial and federal leaders to stand behind a proposed law aimed to prevent unregulated weapons and weapon component exports into the U.S. The group is hoping that leaders will back Bill C-233 to help prevent the unregulated movement of weapons.