The Dead North Film Festival has just celebrated its biggest event ever.
The festival, which is based out of Yellowknife, challenges professional and aspiring filmmakers living north of 60 to make short horror productions over a two-month period in the dead of winter.
Altogether, 16 films were entered in this year’s competition and for the first time ever, they included entries from the Yukon and Nunavut.
The films premiered at the Northern Arts and Cultural Centre Tuesday. Award-nominated films were also screened Wednesday night at the Snow Castle.
The minds behind the film Maxwell went home with the most hardware this year, claiming five Zombears altogether. Aurora captured four.
Below is a full list of this year’s winners as selected by four judges from across the country:
- Best Film: Maxwell
- Best Director: Andrew Zïlchenhausen (Andrew Silke) for Aurora
- Best Screenplay: Fish Out of Water by Kirsten Carthew
- Best Actress: Shaylen Doolittle for Aurora
- Best Actor: Gilles Amyot for Maxwell
- Best Cinematography: Maxwell by Pee Kay (Pat Kane)
- Best Score: Aurora by Matt Seeton
- Best Sound Design: Aurora by Matt Seeton
- Best Editing: Subject Six
- Best Death(s): Garbage
- Best Practical FX: Maxwell by Nicole Garbutt
- Best Trailer: Maxwell
- Best Poster: The Vast Forlorn
With more interest than ever, festival organizer Jay Bulkaert previously told Moose FM he’s already looking forward to next year.
“Hopefully next year we see a bit more from those territories as it grows and we keep spreading the insanity across the North.”