With warmer weather here, construction is ramping up around Yellowknife.
A total of 15 construction projects are planned this summer in the city as a part of the 2017 budget.
Major construction is expected to begin on May 29 on Franklin Avenue between Norseman Drive and Forrest Drive. Traffic will be reduced to one lane until that work is complete.
“The city reminds residents to be attentive to road signs, reduce speeds in construction zones and plan ahead when commuting as traffic delays can be expected,” read a news release from the city.
There will be traffic headaches on Kam Lake Road in the coming weeks as well. Crews will be repaving the road between Finlayson Drive and Coronation Drive. Other work on Kam will involve new traffic lights at the intersection of Kam Lake and Finlayson Roads, and a three metre wide multi-use pathway.
Other construction work this summer includes:
- 51ST & 5ND STREETS: A rehabilitation of 51 Street and 52 Street involving the replacement of the asphalt surface, sidewalk, curb and gutter as well as replacement of existing street lights in coordination with Northland Utilities Ltd.
- CON ROAD: Work will include gravel installation and paving between 54 Street and Rycon Drive as well as the installation of a sidewalk along the south side of the road.
- FRANKLIN AVENUE: Construction will include paving of Franklin Avenue between Norseman Drive and Forrest Drive on both inbound and outbound lanes, replacement of all curb, and installation of a 3m asphalt pathway on each side of the road. Street lights will also be upgraded and three new bus pullouts will be installed.
- SCHOOL DRAW AVENUE PARKING LOT: The 2017 budget included money for grading, rearrangement and asphalt surfacing of the gravel parking lot, as well as increased signage.
- WILLIAMS AVENUE: Construction will include the replacement of water, sewer, and storm piping from Range Lake Road along Williams Avenue, Beck Court and adjoining easements. The project will also include installation of service connections, a new water hydrant and replacement of the existing hydrants within the project area. Paving is scheduled for 2018.
- FINLAYSON DRIVE: Construction will include the replacement of water, sewer, and storm piping along Finlayson Drive between Cinnamon Court and Hordal Road. Paving is scheduled for 2018.
Check out the city’s website for a complete list of projects and for up-to-date information on road closures.