A total of 45 projects have been announced across the territory after an additional $7.8 million was announced on Wednesday by the federal government.
The Northwest Territories will be transferred a total of $15.7 million through the federal gas tax fund this year, which has kicked in over $135 million since 2005.
“…this funding offers predictable, reliable and flexible support that reflects the federal government’s commitment to investing in infrastructure that makes a real difference in people’s lives at the local level,” said Amarjeet Sohi, minister of infrastructure and communities.
Money from the gas tax fund offers local communities flexibility in choosing what projects to start, from 18 different project categories, including roads and bridges, public transit, drinking water and wastewater infrastructure, and recreational facilities.
Communities can use the funds right away, save the money for a later date, share the money with other communities for shared projects or use it toward larger infrastructure projects.
The following NWT communities are included in the funding announcement:
- Hamlet of Aklavik: $324,000
- Tlicho Community Government of Behchokǫ: $666,000
- Behdzi Ahda’ First Nation (Colville Lake): $75,000
- Deline Got’ine Government: $276,000
- Yellowknives Dene First Nation: $75,000
- Hamlet of Enterprise: $75,000
- K’asho Got’ine Charter Community Council (Fort Good Hope): $298,000
- Hamlet of Fort Liard: $293,000
- Ka’a’ gee Tu First Nation (Kakisa): $75,000
- Hamlet of Fort McPherson: $396,000
- Hamlet of Fort Providence: $322,000
- Hamlet of Fort Resolution: $75,000
- Village of Fort Simpson: $538,000
- Town of Fort Smith: $863,000
- Tlicho Community Government of Gamètì: $75,000
- Town of Hay River: $1,305,000
- K’atl’odeeche First Nation: $75,000
- Town of Inuvik: $1,264,000
- Tthedzeh K’edeli First Nation (Jean Marie River): $75,000
- Lutsel K’e Dene First Nation: $225,000
- Nahanni Butte Dene Band: $75,000
- Town of Norman Wells: $543,000
- Government of Northwest Territories (Capacity Building): $275,625
- Hamlet of Paulatuk: $219,000
- Hamlet of Sachs Harbour: $198,000
- Charter Community of Tsiigehtchic: $75,000
- Hamlet of Tuktoyaktuk: $386,000
- Hamlet of Tulita: $274,000
- Hamlet of Ulukhaktok: $272,000
- Tłı̨chǫ Community Government of Wekweètì: $178,000
- Tłı̨chǫ Community Government of Whatì: $265,000
- Pehdzeh Ki First Nation (Wrigley): $75,000
- Sambaa K’e Dene Band (Trout Lake): $75,000
- City of Yellowknife: $5,273,000