Yellowknifers: stand by for hovercraft rides in two weeks

The man who brought a 12-seater hovercraft to Yellowknife says it could be ready to take paying customers by the second week in July.

Retired mechanic Peter Basko’s orange Canair 512 hovercraft caused a stir at the Long John Jamboree, in March, when it made a brief – highly audible – appearance.

Basko spent months trying to get the machine ready to offer trips at the Jamboree, but mechanical issues proved insurmountable in the time available.

March 2015: Peter Basko’s hovercraft profiled in words and pictures

Now, with three more months’ work under his belt, Basko hopes the hovercraft is nearing active service. Important new parts are due to arrive by the end of the week.

He plans to charge $50 for half-hour trips.

“The plan is: if you got green, I got gas,” he joked.

“I want to do small half-hour tours from Back Bay to the river bridge, along the shore to Dettah, across to Con Mine, and then back to Old Town. That’s your half hour.

“I hope, in two weeks’ time, it will be ready to operate – full service.”

The hovercraft measures 22 feet by 11 feet and was trucked up from its former home in Des Moines, Iowa, late last year. Basko says the machine has also spent time in Australia.

The Canair 512 has twin engines, which were considered vital in Basko’s search for the ideal machine. He argues that two engines give him the ability to limp home should one fail, reducing the chance of finding himself stranded in northern winter conditions.

Ollie Williams
Ollie Williams
Hello! I'm the one with the British accent. Thanks for supporting CJCD. To contact me, you can email me, find me on Twitter or call (867) 920-4663.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Canada vows dollar-for-dollar retaliation as 50-per-cent U.S. tariffs take effect

Canada suspended trade negotiations with the United States and pledged dollar-for-dollar retaliation as additional 50-per-cent U.S. tariffs took effect early Saturday on about $28 billion in Canadian goods.

Prince George plane lost engine power before fatal crash, investigators say

A plane that made a fatal emergency landing on a Prince George road Thursday lost power in one engine before colliding with four vehicles, the Transportation Safety Board of Canada said.

Temporary suspension of labour and delivery services in Inuvik extended

The Northwest Territories Health and Social Services Authority has announced that they will be extending the temporary suspension of labour and delivery services at the Inuvik Regional Hospital.

Planned ignition underway in Behchokǫ̀

NWT Fire has announced that wildfire crews and aircraft will be in Behchokǫ̀ on Friday, August 21 to work towards a planned ignition.

Final school in the territory tested for lead

Lead testing of the water at Chief Albert Wright School in Tulita has shown that one water fixture at the school has elevated lead levels.