41 of 60 NWT candidates score an ‘F’ on union’s election survey

Nearly three-quarters of candidates running in the upcoming territorial election have failed a survey that was distributed by the Union of Northern Workers (UNW).

The union asked all candidates to respond to a survey containing these five yes-or-no questions:

  1. Will you oppose any cuts of GNWT staff, including boards and agencies?
  2. Will you oppose any further contracting out of government services?
  3. Will you oppose any further use of Public-Private Partnerships (P3s) for GNWT projects?
  4. Will you work to end the policy of Zero Program Growth?
  5. Will you work to ensure the Union of Northern Workers is a full participant in the proposed modernization of the Public Service Act?

Answering ‘yes’ to all five questions scored a candidate an ‘A’, according to the union. Answering ‘no’ to all five earned them an ‘F’.

However, answering ‘no’ to the first question resulted in an automatic ‘F’, regardless of any other answers.

Of the 60 candidates running in the NWT election, 41 received a failing grade for either not responding to the survey, failing to comply with the format of the survey, answering ‘no’ to the first question or answering ‘no’ to three or more questions in total.

Of the remaining candidates, only five scored an ‘A’, 10 received a ‘B’ and four earned a ‘C’.

The UNW says the survey was distributed “to learn the positions of candidates on issues important to UNW members, and to the users of public services”.

However, following the release of the report cards, UNW president Todd Parsons expressed his frustration with the results.

“It is disappointing that so many candidates seeking to lead the territory, and ultimately oversee the management of the territorial public service, failed to provide a response,” he said in a statement.

“The failure of so many candidates to hold themselves accountable to public service workers and the public is dismissive and unacceptable.

“With 60 candidates running in 19 ridings and no party platforms, it’s very difficult to gather information on candidates’ positions and present it in understandable form.

“That’s why the UNW used a basic survey of five questions with yes or no answers.”

Survey too restrictive?

Last week, two Yellowknife candidates took exception to the tone of the survey.

In a statement, Jan Fullerton – standing in Frame Lake – said the survey would feed an “us-versus-them” mentality by reducing complex questions to one-word answers.

Glen Abernethy, who’s standing in Great Slave, agreed.

“Limiting the response, to these complex questions, to a very restrictive ‘yes’ or ‘no’ fails to allow candidates to accurately express their opinions,” he said in a public letter to the union.

“The structure and parameters you’ve set are encouraging candidates to follow the rules of your questionnaire to get a good grade which they know will be posted publicly, rather than explain their positions, platforms and beliefs.”

Now that the results have been publicized, the union is urging the public to “get out and vote for candidates who support the interests of workers and the quality of public services, as demonstrated by their answers to our survey.”

To find out how candidates in your riding fared, click here.

Election day is on November 23.


Updated 06:35, November 16, 2015: The Union of Northern Workers issued a correction to its own survey results, amending the number of F grades from 43 to 41.

Mike Gibbins
Mike Gibbins
Hello and thank you for listening to 100.1 Moose FM! To contact me, you can email me, find me on Twitter or call (867) 920-4663.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Water levels “above average” on Mackenzie at Aklavik as ice-break up underway

Environmental scientists with the territory’s Environment and Climate Change department said that ice break-up along the Peel River is “near complete.” Data collected as of this morning showed that ice break up continues along the Mackenzie Delta, with water levels "above average" in Aklavik.

New program formally integrates wildland and structural firefighting

The territorial government and the Northwest Territories Fire Chiefs Association have just unveiled a new program that formally integrates N.W.T. wildfire and community emergency response. While the Wildland Urban Interface program is aimed at responding to a need for “stronger integration” between wildland and structural firefighting during wildfire threats, some responsibilities remain delegated to the municipal level.

No word yet on what caused Taltson’s newly repaired surge tank to leak

It will be “several” more days before more is known about a reported leak at the Taltson Station’s surge tank. South Slave hydro customers were transfered to diesel fuel this weekend as N.W.T.’s Power Corporation inspects the Talston surge tank, after some water was observed leaking from the tank.

GNWT alerts Canvas users of security breach

The Government of the Northwest Territories is notifying users of the Canvas learning management platform of a security incident involving Canvas’ parent company, Instructure.

NTPC warns of potential short outages in Inuvik

The Northwest Territories Power Corporation is warning residents of Inuvik that during planned work on the local power plant the community may experience short intermittent power outages.