Edge YK cancels third public meeting for federal candidates

A third chance for Yellowknife residents to gauge the views of the Northwest Territories’ four federal election hopefuls has been cancelled.

Edge YK says its event, scheduled for Tuesday, October 14, won’t go ahead after Conservative candidate Floyd Roland failed to confirm his attendance and Liberal candidate Michael McLeod pulled out.

A debate between Yellowknife’s two mayoral candidates, scheduled as part of the same event, has also been dropped. “We didn’t feel an hour-long event was enough to constitute an evening,” said organizers.

September 30: NWT federal election candidates’ forum: what they said

October 1: NWT federal election candidates’ forum round two: what was said

Edge YK said McLeod’s cancellation was related to “issues with having the debate in a licensed establishment”.

Organizers added: “We would have been happy to consider a venue change but McLeod and his team gave no indication the location was an issue until after 5pm on Thursday, or two business days before the event was scheduled to take place.

“We aren’t committed to a location involving alcohol, but in an election season with a number of candidate events being held, we wanted to do something different to appeal to people who might not attend the other events, for whatever reason.

“We respect every candidate’s right to determine the rules around their engagement in a debate, but can’t respect someone agreeing to participate in an event, knowing all the details, and cancelling at the last moment.”

Two forums took place last week. One, hosted by Alternatives North, featured three of the four candidates with Roland missing. The other, hosted by the CBC, featured all four.

Ollie Williams
Ollie Williams
Hello! I'm the one with the British accent. Thanks for supporting CJCD. To contact me, you can email me, find me on Twitter or call (867) 920-4663.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Water levels “above average” on Mackenzie at Aklavik as ice-break up underway

Environmental scientists with the territory’s Environment and Climate Change department said that ice break-up along the Peel River is “near complete.” Data collected as of this morning showed that ice break up continues along the Mackenzie Delta, with water levels "above average" in Aklavik.

New program formally integrates wildland and structural firefighting

The territorial government and the Northwest Territories Fire Chiefs Association have just unveiled a new program that formally integrates N.W.T. wildfire and community emergency response. While the Wildland Urban Interface program is aimed at responding to a need for “stronger integration” between wildland and structural firefighting during wildfire threats, some responsibilities remain delegated to the municipal level.

No word yet on what caused Taltson’s newly repaired surge tank to leak

It will be “several” more days before more is known about a reported leak at the Taltson Station’s surge tank. South Slave hydro customers were transfered to diesel fuel this weekend as N.W.T.’s Power Corporation inspects the Talston surge tank, after some water was observed leaking from the tank.

GNWT alerts Canvas users of security breach

The Government of the Northwest Territories is notifying users of the Canvas learning management platform of a security incident involving Canvas’ parent company, Instructure.

NTPC warns of potential short outages in Inuvik

The Northwest Territories Power Corporation is warning residents of Inuvik that during planned work on the local power plant the community may experience short intermittent power outages.