100.1 GO FM - We're Your Feel Good Pop Station

Confirmed: Yellowknife will get new $350 million hospital

Finance minister Michael Miltenberger confirmed on Tuesday that plans to upgrade Yellowknife’s hospital facilities have changed.

As first reported last week, a public-private partnership will now construct an entirely new hospital – rather than extensively redeveloping the existing Stanton Territorial Hospital as previously announced.

On Tuesday, Miltenberger suggested the cost has increased to $350 million from earlier estimates of around $300 million.

As members of the legislative assembly reconvened for the final time prior to November’s territorial election, the minister gave brief answers to questions from MLAs – several of whom seemed blindsided by the hospital announcement.

Wendy Bisaro asked why some MLAs were learning of important changes to hospital plans through the media, rather than through direct contact from cabinet members. Bob Bromley protested at being equally uninformed.

“It’s a $350 million project that’s going to proceed. It’s going to come in on budget and on time,” said Miltenberger, suggesting he would provide more detail behind closed doors following Tuesday’s public discussion.

“It’s going to be for a new hospital, with the old hospital being designated for some other use in the coming years.”

Boreal Health Partnership signed a deal last week to design, build, finance and maintain the new facility. In announcing that deal, the territorial government made no reference to the redevelopment’s fundamentally altered premise.

The territory has still to publicly address why and when its plans for the hospital changed.

‘Breach of process’

Earlier, Miltenberger and Premier Bob McLeod faced criticism from Range Lake MLA Daryl Dolynny for their announcement of a $30 million power subsidy at the start of September.

At the time, Miltenberger and McLeod told reporters the territorial government would spend the money to cover excess diesel costs until June 2016, sparing residents a rate hike.

On Tuesday, Dolynny argued they had presented the deal as a fait accompli when it still requires approval from the assembly.

Dolynny asked Speaker Jackie Jacobson to consider whether cabinet members had breached privilege and shown contempt, in what he and several other MLAs termed a “breach of due process”.

Miltenberger, in response, said the government was obliged to act “in a timely way” to head off the emerging crisis.

Ollie Williams
Ollie Williams
Hello! I'm the one with the British accent. Thanks for supporting CJCD. To contact me, you can email me, find me on Twitter or call (867) 920-4663.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Inuit Nunangat University to begin regional knowledge centre site selection

Following the selection of Arviat, Nunavut, as the site of Inuit Nunangat University’s main campus, the process to choose regional knowledge centres and satellite campuses across Inuit Nunangat is underway. Arviat, with a population of about 3,000, is Nunavut’s third-largest community and has one of the highest proportions of youth in the country.

Premier supports “dual use” aspects of country’s first “Defence Industrial Strategy”

The federal government announced the strategy Monday, describing it as the country’s first national defence industrial strategy. Simpson said those elements are particularly relevant to the North. He said equipment and technology systems intended for use in the Arctic should be tested in the territory’s northern climate and developed in partnership with northern governments, Indigenous rights holders and communities.

Nominee Program opens up for 2026

The Northwest Territories Nominee Program will be opening applications for the employer-driven and francophone streams starting March 9 at 9am.  

Yellowknife Fire Fighter Association campout fundraiser to be held this weekend

The Yellowknife Fire Fighter Association will be holding a campout this weekend on the roof of the Yellowknife CO-OP to raise funds and awareness for Muscular Dystrophy Canada. 

Search continues for ways to deal with 200,000 tons of arsenic dust at Giant Mine

Scientists presented projects for a more permanent solution to hundreds of thousands of tons arsenic dust from the mine. One method uses local beer to fuel a transformation of the toxic dust, while another tries to turn it into glass. Another proposed method looks at turning the dust into a highly sought commodity known as metallic arsenic. Additional proposals look whether robotic technology could allow crews to virtually pilot the extraction of the dust while “sipping coffee” from a distance.