Get to know the people standing for election in Yellowknife and Hay River this fall – follow the links on this page for full interviews with candidates.
Both communities will see a two-horse race for mayor. In Yellowknife, incumbent Mark Heyck faces John Himmelman. In Hay River, Andrew Cassidy seeks a second term with Brad Mapes the challenger.
In Yellowknife, three candidates support the locally developed IServeU online democracy system, which hopes to become the first such “direct democracy” system in the world to win seats in an election of this size.
Standing for mayor in Yellowknife:
Standing for mayor in Hay River:
Standing for council in Yellowknife:
Eight positions available
- Rebecca Alty – click for full Q&A and audio interview
- Adrian Bell – click for full Q&A
- Mark Bogan – read Edge YK’s profile
- Linda Bussey – click for full Q&A and audio interview
- Thom Jarvis – click for full Q&A
- Niels Konge – click for full Q&A and audio interview
- Marie-Soleil Lacoursiere – click for full Q&A and audio interview
- Beaton MacKenzie – click for full Q&A
- Dane Mason – click for full Q&A and audio interview
- Jugjit More-Curran – visit her campaign website
- Shauna Morgan – click for full Q&A and audio interview
- Julian Morse – click for full Q&A and audio interview
- Steve Payne – click for full Q&A and audio interview
- Rommel Silverio – visit his campaign website
- Phil Moon Son – click for full Q&A
Standing for council in Hay River:
Eight positions available
- Steve Anderson
- Roger Candow
- Jason Coakwell
- Keith Dohey
- Kandis Jameson
- Donna Lee Jungkind
- Michael Maher
- Vince McKay
Are you standing as a candidate? Make sure you contact us to arrange an interview if we haven’t already spoken to you. All candidates are entitled to an interview between 15 and 20 minutes in length, excerpts from which will be played on-air, with the full interview uploaded to this page.
The City of Yellowknife has published more information about how to vote.
The municipal election will take place between 10am and 8pm on Monday, October 19. Polling stations are as follows:
- Poll 1 (Great Slave) Sir John Franklin High School
- Poll 2 (Yellowknife North) St Patrick High School
- Poll 3 (Yellowknife Centre) Northern United Place
- Poll 4 (Frame Lake) William McDonald School
- Poll 5 (Range Lake) Range Lake North School
- Poll 6 (Kam Lake) Multiplex Gym
- Poll 7 (Yellowknife South) NJ Macpherson School
Voting at the Office of the Returning Officer will take place October 5-9 between 9am and 4:30pm if you expect to be “absent, incapacitated or otherwise unable to vote in the electoral district” on October 19. Call the city on 920-5667 if you need more information.