100.1 GO FM - We're Your Feel Good Pop Station

Crews combating wildfires under extreme fire danger across the N.W.T.

Much of the N.W.T. continues to face extreme fire danger just as wildfire activity slows down across the rest of the country. 

The North Slave, South Slave and Dehcho regions are seeing persisting wildfire activity up to the final day of August due to extreme winds, drought conditions and unseasonably high temperatures.

Mike Westwick, of NWT Fire,  told True North FM that a crew from Alta. has joined NWT Fire and more help is likely on the way.

Today, Fort Providence issued an Evacuation Order with a wildfire located now only 2 km from the community. Jean Marie River First Nation remains on an Evacuation Notice after strong winds expanded the wildfire.  So far, the southern flank has held, keeping the blaze about 15 km from the community’s border but officials are concerned of potential risks in the coming days. 

On Friday, Whatì leadership called a state of emergency and issued an evacuation order due to fire ZF048. Whatì community members were required to evacuate the area that morning.

Travellers are advised to check www.DriveNWT.ca for the latest info on road conditions and www.NWTFire.com for the latest info on wildfire activity.

NORTH SLAVE REGION

Fire ZF048 remains about 7 km from the Whati airport and about 8 km from the community. An Evacuation Order was issued on Friday.

“Crews are working to bucket the north end of the fire to ensure it does not reach the community. There are no structures at risk on the south end of the fire closer to Highway 9,” said NWT fire today.
Structure protections are in place in the community. NWT Fire and the Tłı̨chǫ government are continuing to set up fire protections.

Sherbaz Mohammad, Whati’s community’s administrative officer, said more information will be provided once community members register.

Evacuees are being asked to register with reception centres being set up in Behchokǫ̀ and Yellowknife.

“Residents of Whati may register at the Yellowknife Field House for the evacuation,” said Mohammad.
The address is 45 Kam Lake Rd, Yellowknife, NT X1A 2N4. Beds are available at the centre along with showers and other needed facilities and resources.

The Behchokǫ̀ Sports Plex is also open as an evacuation center and is actively registering evacuees.

Community members are asked to check updates regularly at the GNWT Public Safety webpage.
The GNWT provides financial support to help evacuees with immediate costs for expenses like gasoline, groceries, and accommodations through the emergency evacuation relief program. All evacuees are eligible. Anyone who would like to receive support from this program is required to register as an evacuee with their community government.

Anyone who would like more information or assistance to register can call 867-767-9168 ext. 15027 or email [email protected]. Information on services available to evacuees can be found at https://www.gov.nt.ca/en/public-safety/services-and-supports-evacuees.

The fire ZF015 located west of Hwy 3, persisted in increased active fire activity, despite the ongoing response of Wildland crews since June.

Intense fire activity is visible along the highway with crews working to protect cabins and other values on the landscape.

GNWT’s department of Infrastructure reported that Hwy 3 is closed between the junction of Hwy 9 to Whati and the junction of Hwy 1 (south of Fort Providence).

For those evacuating from Fort Providence, the highway is open to southbound traffic and the Deh Cho Bridge is open to 2 lanes. Hwy 9 to Whati continues to be closed to northbound traffic. Officials are advising travellers to drive cautiously.

Fire ZF024 near Hearne, Buckham, Watta Lakes showed increased fire activity today, causing an evacuation of a nearby lodge.

“This fire took a run 15 km south-east, hitting Great Slave Lake. Staff at Blachford Lake Lodge evacuated Saturday. Crews are running sprinklers around the lodge and nearby structures,” said crews.
Fire ZF052-25, moved about 3 km closer to Edzo The blaze is located about 27 km west of the community and about 10 km east of Hwy 9. The fire reignited on Thursday and crews are continuing an active response to contain it.

‘This fire made a run Saturday evening due to strong winds, moving it slightly closer to Edzo. However, it is still about 27 km away from the communitiy. Edzo is not currently at risk and crews are working to contain it,” said NWT Fire.

A human-caused fire (ZF054) last estimated to be about 0.5 hectares in size, was spotted near David Lake on Wednesday. Officials reported that the fire is under control.

SOUTH SLAVE REGION

Fort Providence issued an Evacuation Order today after heavy winds brought excessive growth to the fire, pushing the fire closer to the community. The wildfire has expanded and crossed the highway.

“This wildfire grew significantly overnight driven by severe northerly winds and is now 89,000 hectares,” said NWT Fire.

Mike Westwick told True North FM that the fire remains about 2 km north of Fort Providence.

NWT Fire are actioning an aggressive response to the wildfire, which includes five crews, two intermediate helicopters, seven dozers, two mulchers, and seven fire trucks led by an incident management team and structure protection specialists.

Fire weather conditions are expected to continue in the area.

“Winds are expected primarily from the south until late afternoon to early evening, when it is expected to switch northerly,” said officials earlier today.

At 6 p.m. NWT Fire issued an update that the wind shift from southerly to northerly has occurred, which could put the community at risk.

Low relative humidity is expected with winds gusting up to 18 km per hour by this afternoon and 30 km per hour by this evening.

“Cooler temperatures are expected by Sunday evening and into Monday,” said NWT Fire.

“The community of Fort Providence is at threat due to this wildfire. It has not reached the community as of this update,” said crews.

At this time direct attack is unsafe and ineffective because of the extent of the fire front, said crews.
Aircraft crews are actioning the wildfire via air, making water drops to reduce the fire’s intensity when conditions allow. Visibility issues due to smoke have made most aerial firefighting unsafe, said Wildland crews.

Structure protection specialists are in the community and have installed sprinklers and water cannons to protect at-risk structures along the northern border of the community to help prevent potential losses.

“Heavy equipment is working to strengthen the fuel break north of the community to reduce wildfire intensity if the wildfire approaches,” said crews.

Wildland teams are looking at defensive ignition strategies to help block the fire’s potential to spread further. Crews are attempting to widen the fuel break as the anchor.

For public safety updates for the latest on evacuations, NWT Fire advised to to head to GNWT’s public safety pages at https://www.gov.nt.ca/en/public-safety/notices-alerts-and-orders.

Earlier this week, crews advised that the fire SS014, located about 14 km northeast of Fort Providence, would likely see increased activity.

Firefighters made progress on the northern flank of fire SS031 located about 40 km south of Fort Resolution.

Crews wrapped up the northern flank of the wildfire yesterday.

“Crews are heading to the area today to action two nearby hotspots and to coldtrail the area,” said NWT Fire.

DEHCHO

An Evacuation Notice remains in place for Jean Marie River First Nation. The fire S014 was last estimated to be about 15 km from the community.

“Winds are easing today from the heavy north-northwest winds seen through last night’s event,” Mike Westwick, of NWT Fire, told True North FM.

Winds are expected from the east to northeast throughout the day, potentially causing growth primarily to the west, with some southern progression. 5 to15 km per hour sustained, with gusts between 25 to 30 km per hour.

The wildfire FS014 saw significant growth yesterday, causing officials to issue an Evacuation Notice for Jean Marie River First Nation.

“This fire grew significantly this afternoon under extreme northerly to northwest winds today. The fire is about 15km to the northwest of Jean Marie River. Crews are bucketing this fire to limit growth to the south. They are working to ensure it does not move closer to Jean Marie River,” said NWT Fire crews.

Wildland crews reported that the community of Jean Marie River is not at imminent threat due to this wildfire, but there is concern about the risk of fire expansion.

“However, with its proximity to the community after the wind event, there remains concern for future growth,” said NWT Fire.

Officials said the community of Fort Simpson and the ferry landing is not at threat at this time.
Officials advised community members from Jean Marie River First Nation of potential increased risk to the community and residents.

“The community of Jean Marie River is advised to prepare for a potential emergency and/or evacuation if necessary. Residents are asked to monitor news sources and keep aware of the situation. For updates, check the Jean Marie River First Nations Facebook Page. Local Residents are instructed to check in with the band office if they have questions.”

Community members are being advised to also to listen to the radio station 101.9, check community information boards for updates and GNWT’s Wildfire Update pages.

Officials are advising to keep a tank full of fuel and have any important belongings prepared and packed to go.

Earlier this month, the fire expanded towards the banks of the Mackenzie and has reached it in some areas, where crews faced significant activity on the northeast corner of this fire.

Firefighters are keeping a close eye on persisting wildfires in the Fort Liard complex. Some structure protection will continue at cabins in the area of FS009, east of Fort Liard as a precaution.

This wildfire saw “little activity” today but crews warn that there remains a chance of increasing fire activity due to the extreme fire weather conditions over the next few days.

“Structure protection continues to be maintained on cabins in the area. Structure protection equipment is being demobilized from the community of Fort Liard as the threat has reduced enough,” said NWT Fire.

SAHTU

Firefighters continued to activate a response to fire VQ033, located east of Tulita. Firefighters were first mobilized Tuesday night and have been trying to contain the blaze since.

“Crews are still working on this fire and are making good progress. There is no threat to Tulita,” said NWT Fire today.

BEAUFORT DELTA

NWT Fire reported no fires of concern are burning in the region as of Sunday evening 6 p.m.

Wildland crews urged residents across the territories to be mindful of campfires and bans in place.
The town of Hay River announced yesterday that a full fire ban now in effect for Hay River. Fort Simpson has also announced a full fire ban.

Yesterday, the city of Yellowknife advised residents and visitors that open burning, including campfires, fireworks, and other activities involving fire, is strongly discouraged.

“Fires should only be used when absolutely necessary for food preparation or warmth,” said officials.
Wildland teams urged the public not to leave campfires unattended, especially in current fire weather conditions, which could quickly become a wildfire. Officials advise the public to follow any active bans or partial bans in place.

NWT Fire reminded folks to follow the golden rule of “Soak, Stir, Soak,” – “If you can’t hold your hand over it, it’s not out,” said crews.

Officials ask the public to report new starts to the Wildfire Public Information Line (867-445-5484)

 

 

Lisa Iesse
Lisa Iesse
Growing up in Toronto’s west end, Lisa always dreamed of making her way to the land of the midnight sun. She studied literature and sociology at the University of Toronto and has worked with media outlets in Ontario, the N.W.T., Six Nations and the U.K. Have a tip or something to share? Reach her anytime at 867-444-0640 or [email protected]

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Task Force Grizzly push full steam ahead after braving weeks of 24/7 extreme cold

Over 200 members of the 41 Canadian Brigade group, part of the militia known as Task Force Grizzly, were out on (and in) a frozen lake in Yellowknife on Friday morning. They were there participating in an ice rescue exercise on the last leg of what was a two week mission for some. The brigade was part of a larger mission known as Operation Nanook-Nuvailivut, made up of members of Joint Task Force North who travelled from Edmonton to Yellowknife

Ambe Chenemu makes way for Black Histories in North, makes way for change

A gathering of people from across the territory and beyond overflowed from the visitor centre space on Thursday evening in Yellowknife to hear Ambe Chenemu speak. Chemenu is the founder of BACupNorth, a Black Advocacy Coalition. A trailblazing community visionary, Chenemu is also a lead member of a number of advocacy groups, board chair for NWT Integrated and Community Services, along with leading a number of health, housing and economic development organizations.

Minister urges feds to provide long-term funding for Inuit Child First program

The government of Canada has announced a plan to extend funding for the Inuit Child First Initiative. In response, Education Minister Caitlin Cleveland said that it is a positive sign. The minister added that it remains unclear whether the guidelines for Inuit Child First or Jordan’s Principle have changed in a way that allows children and families to better access services in the N.W.T.

AVENS awards honour “650 years of collective service” for care workers

AVENS announced that they are holding a ceremony in honour of long-term staff at the facility, which first opened its doors over 40 years ago in the city of Yellowknife. The “Going the Extra Mile for Seniors” Awards ceremony will celebrate “650 years of collective service.”In an announcement today, Colleen Wellborn, Chair of the AVENS Board of Directors said the event highlights dedicated staff, whose contributions are “vital” to the older adult community.

Youth suspect arrested following social media threats

A youth suspect has been arrested by Hay River RCMP after police were made aware of a threatening post on social media made yesterday.