More details from RCMP as YK sex offender back in court

Violent sex offender Jonah Keyuajuk will remain in custody after appearing in a Yellowknife court on Monday.

Last week, police issued an unusual warning to notify residents that the 44-year-old was in the city and posed a “significant risk” to the community.

However, Keyuajuk was taken back into custody within 24 hours of that notice being issued, having reportedly appeared downtown in the early hours of Friday morning – breaching the conditions of his release.

On Monday, RCMP provided more details of that alleged breach. “It is alleged that Keyuajuk breached his conditions to keep the peace and be of good behaviour, to abide by a curfew, and to abstain from the consumption of alcohol,” said police in a statement.

He has been remanded to custody until his next court appearance, on September 4.

Keyuajuk, of Inuit descent, was formerly convicted of aggravated sexual assault, assault with a weapon and assault causing bodily harm.

True North FM
True North FM
CJCD Moose FM broadcasts to Yellowknife and Hay River in Canada's Northwest Territories.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Water levels “above average” on Mackenzie at Aklavik as ice-break up underway

Environmental scientists with the territory’s Environment and Climate Change department said that ice break-up along the Peel River is “near complete.” Data collected as of this morning showed that ice break up continues along the Mackenzie Delta, with water levels "above average" in Aklavik.

New program formally integrates wildland and structural firefighting

The territorial government and the Northwest Territories Fire Chiefs Association have just unveiled a new program that formally integrates N.W.T. wildfire and community emergency response. While the Wildland Urban Interface program is aimed at responding to a need for “stronger integration” between wildland and structural firefighting during wildfire threats, some responsibilities remain delegated to the municipal level.

No word yet on what caused Taltson’s newly repaired surge tank to leak

It will be “several” more days before more is known about a reported leak at the Taltson Station’s surge tank. South Slave hydro customers were transfered to diesel fuel this weekend as N.W.T.’s Power Corporation inspects the Talston surge tank, after some water was observed leaking from the tank.

GNWT alerts Canvas users of security breach

The Government of the Northwest Territories is notifying users of the Canvas learning management platform of a security incident involving Canvas’ parent company, Instructure.

NTPC warns of potential short outages in Inuvik

The Northwest Territories Power Corporation is warning residents of Inuvik that during planned work on the local power plant the community may experience short intermittent power outages.