100.1 GO FM - We're Your Feel Good Pop Station

Breast in peace: Yellowknife’s KFC closes its doors for good

KFC chicked out of Yellowknife at midnight on Sunday.

After 47 years in the city, the Colonel’s last stand saw ravenous residents consume thousands of chicken pieces, ransacking the franchise’s reserves.

Though owner Matt Jason insisted he had enough meat to meet demand, Yellowknifers had emptied the building of chicken on the bone by late Saturday.

List of KFC items
Supplies dwindled on Sunday.

Other chicken-based products like sandwiches and subs remained available on Sunday, if you weren’t so set on traditional KFC menu items.

Lines snaked out of the door on both Saturday and Sunday. On Friday, Jason had predicted sales volumes 50 percent higher, or more, than an average weekend. Since announcing its closure in July, the franchise has been trading at volumes approaching double its sales from this time last year.

“It’s definitely been busier, that’s for sure. People have been scrambling in there, trying to get their last bit of KFC,” Jason told Moose FM ahead of the weekend.

“Everyone I talk to is pleading with me lately, like this has to be a big joke and can’t be happening for real. We’re scrambling to get our chicken in and keep up with the orders.”

July 2015: Yellowknife’s KFC is dead – long live Lenny Burger

Jason and his sister shut down the operation, which ran for five decades in Yellowknife, as they no longer felt KFC nationally was heading in a direction they could support.

They’ll open their own venture, named Lenny Burger after their father’s former Yellowknife cafe, in its place.

A Mary Brown’s chicken franchise could also, reportedly, be established in the near future by a separate operator elsewhere in the city.

Yellowknife KFC
The empty dining room of Yellowknife’s KFC.
Sign at Yellowknife's KFC
A sign hanging behind the counter at Yellowknife’s KFC on Sunday.

Over the past month, the news of KFC’s demise has drawn a reaction from locals that surprised Jason.

“I knew it was going to be a big deal, to a point, but I didn’t know everyone was going to go that overboard about it,” he said.

“Especially when it came to taking the bucket down – like, you’ve got to be kidding me, man. You’d think we were taking down some kind of monument from the city that’s been standing for years.

“But all the people sharing stories from the past – it’s pretty much all the stuff we’re not allowed to do [by KFC headquarters] any more, like sending orders to places and our own burgers. It’s all stuff we can’t do, that’s been gone for a while.”

Lenny Burger: What was it like at the old Lenny Burger in the 1980s?

KFC bucket: What will happen next to the giant bucket sign?

Lenny Burger is still on for a Christmas opening, although Jason admitted it’s hard to guarantee they’ll hit that deadline. By next summer, the plan is for the new restaurant to be licensed and feature a patio.

“There was more positive feedback about that than there was negative about KFC. I was actually surprised,” said Jason. “People were stoked about the Lenny Burger.

“And for anyone that’s so worried about losing their chicken: we’re still doing chicken. For all they know, it might be better.”

Ollie Williams
Ollie Williams
Hello! I'm the one with the British accent. Thanks for supporting CJCD. To contact me, you can email me, find me on Twitter or call (867) 920-4663.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Task Force Grizzly push full steam ahead after braving weeks of 24/7 extreme cold

Over 200 members of the 41 Canadian Brigade group, part of the militia known as Task Force Grizzly, were out on (and in) a frozen lake in Yellowknife on Friday morning. They were there participating in an ice rescue exercise on the last leg of what was a two week mission for some. The brigade was part of a larger mission known as Operation Nanook-Nuvailivut, made up of members of Joint Task Force North who travelled from Edmonton to Yellowknife

Ambe Chenemu makes way for Black Histories in North, makes way for change

A gathering of people from across the territory and beyond overflowed from the visitor centre space on Thursday evening in Yellowknife to hear Ambe Chenemu speak. Chemenu is the founder of BACupNorth, a Black Advocacy Coalition. A trailblazing community visionary, Chenemu is also a lead member of a number of advocacy groups, board chair for NWT Integrated and Community Services, along with leading a number of health, housing and economic development organizations.

Minister urges feds to provide long-term funding for Inuit Child First program

The government of Canada has announced a plan to extend funding for the Inuit Child First Initiative. In response, Education Minister Caitlin Cleveland said that it is a positive sign. The minister added that it remains unclear whether the guidelines for Inuit Child First or Jordan’s Principle have changed in a way that allows children and families to better access services in the N.W.T.

AVENS awards honour “650 years of collective service” for care workers

AVENS announced that they are holding a ceremony in honour of long-term staff at the facility, which first opened its doors over 40 years ago in the city of Yellowknife. The “Going the Extra Mile for Seniors” Awards ceremony will celebrate “650 years of collective service.”In an announcement today, Colleen Wellborn, Chair of the AVENS Board of Directors said the event highlights dedicated staff, whose contributions are “vital” to the older adult community.

Youth suspect arrested following social media threats

A youth suspect has been arrested by Hay River RCMP after police were made aware of a threatening post on social media made yesterday.