Fire at Yellowknife’s Jackfish power plant damages generator

- Advertisement -

The Northwest Territories Power Corporation says a generator at its Jackfish power plant was damaged by a fire last night.

Nobody was injured in the fire, which was extinguished by the Yellowknife Fire Division without any loss of power to Yellowknife residents.

The territory’s fire marshal is now investigating what caused the fire, although the power corporation says foul play is not suspected.

“A mobile generator that sits in a trailer beside one of our plants caught fire,” power corporation representative Pam Coulter told Moose FM.

“We are currently awaiting the report on what the cause was. Then we’ll be able to look at the extent of any damage to the generator.

“As soon as the site is deemed safe, our own staff will be performing its investigation of the incident. Safety is top priority for the NTPC and we will be looking into that.”

- Advertisement -