100.1 GO FM - We're Your Feel Good Pop Station

“It is time to move forward”: The strike in Hay River is over

After 25 weeks , the strike in Hay River is over. 

On Wednesday night, council ratified a new collective bargaining agreement between the Town and the Public Service Alliance of Canada (PSAC), a union representing roughly 30 striking municipal workers.

The three-year agreement, which is set to expire on December 31, 2016, will see workers earn wage increases of 2% on January 1, 2014, 2% on January 1, 2015 and 1.75% on January 1, 2016.

Originally, the Town was offering an annual pay raise of 1% over the three years while the union’s position was for 2.5%, 2.25% and 2.25% annually.

Read: Hay River Strike: Workers Vote To End Labour Dispute

“I’m happy that the strike is over,” said Hay River Mayor Andrew Cassidy. “It’s time for our community to move on from this.”

“It’s not a settlement that we were aiming for, but at the end of the day council also realized that the strike had to end.”

Last week, the union told Moose FM the settlement was a compromise to the wage increase demands members have held out for since February.

But after more than five months of sporadic meetings and some mudslinging, both parties agreed a resolution was necessary.

Employees will return to work as early as next week.

“We have a return-to-work agreement and it stipulates that beginning next Wednesday, staff will be returning to work,” said Cassidy.

“We’re going to do a phased approach so starting next Wednesday and for the subsequent week we’ll be bringing staff on.

“It doesn’t make sense to bring everyone back at the same time. We’ll bring in some of the priority staff first and then we’ll phase the rest of the staff in as duties roll out.”

Read: Striking Workers In Hay River Victims Of Vandalism, Threats

Both sides expressed relief following Wednesday’s vote at town hall.

In a post on the Town of Hay River Strike Facebook page, a member wrote: “This has been a difficult labour dispute in a small town and over the course of the strike unwanted comments and actions were made.”

“I’m proud to say that our members never breached the protocols established despite provocations to engage in rumbles and other confrontations.

“Going forward I wish these members a smooth transition back into the workplace.”

Cassidy admits there was some mudslinging in the past 25 weeks, but that he’s happy council stayed away from it as much as possible.

“Council stayed fairly clear of it and did not get too involved so I expressed my appreciation for that.

“Moving forward I expect council will welcome staff back to work. We can move forward, we have to move forward and we will.”

Mike Gibbins
Mike Gibbins
Hello and thank you for listening to 100.1 Moose FM! To contact me, you can email me, find me on Twitter or call (867) 920-4663.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Task Force Grizzly push full steam ahead after braving weeks of 24/7 extreme cold

Over 200 members of the 41 Canadian Brigade group, part of the militia known as Task Force Grizzly, were out on (and in) a frozen lake in Yellowknife on Friday morning. They were there participating in an ice rescue exercise on the last leg of what was a two week mission for some. The brigade was part of a larger mission known as Operation Nanook-Nuvailivut, made up of members of Joint Task Force North who travelled from Edmonton to Yellowknife

Ambe Chenemu makes way for Black Histories in North, makes way for change

A gathering of people from across the territory and beyond overflowed from the visitor centre space on Thursday evening in Yellowknife to hear Ambe Chenemu speak. Chemenu is the founder of BACupNorth, a Black Advocacy Coalition. A trailblazing community visionary, Chenemu is also a lead member of a number of advocacy groups, board chair for NWT Integrated and Community Services, along with leading a number of health, housing and economic development organizations.

Minister urges feds to provide long-term funding for Inuit Child First program

The government of Canada has announced a plan to extend funding for the Inuit Child First Initiative. In response, Education Minister Caitlin Cleveland said that it is a positive sign. The minister added that it remains unclear whether the guidelines for Inuit Child First or Jordan’s Principle have changed in a way that allows children and families to better access services in the N.W.T.

AVENS awards honour “650 years of collective service” for care workers

AVENS announced that they are holding a ceremony in honour of long-term staff at the facility, which first opened its doors over 40 years ago in the city of Yellowknife. The “Going the Extra Mile for Seniors” Awards ceremony will celebrate “650 years of collective service.”In an announcement today, Colleen Wellborn, Chair of the AVENS Board of Directors said the event highlights dedicated staff, whose contributions are “vital” to the older adult community.

Youth suspect arrested following social media threats

A youth suspect has been arrested by Hay River RCMP after police were made aware of a threatening post on social media made yesterday.