NWT wildfire season calms, firefighters could head south

Northwest Territories firefighters could be sent to help elsewhere in Canada as the territory’s own wildfire season comes under control.

The 2015 season began early and with considerable intensity in the NWT, but wet, cooler weather in recent weeks has led to a marked improvement.

By this point in the devastating 2014 season, 284 fires had appeared in the territory. This summer, that figure is down to 207. The area burned so far this year stands at around 600,000 hectares – some 400,000 hectares fewer than by the end of July 2014.

Just two new fires were reported in the past week.

“Things have calmed down quite a bit,” said Richard Olsen, the territory’s wildfire operations manager. “It’s almost a nice, calming, relaxing feeling that we have the time to sit and think about things.”

Olsen confirmed all firefighters brought in from other provinces and territories have now been sent home. It’s currently more likely that the territory’s own crews may soon be sent south, to provinces like British Columbia or Saskatchewan, instead.

“We are at the point, in the next week or so, where our normal season in some places will be winding down,” said Olsen. “We’ll be looking at whether we extend crews for possible export to help crews down south.

“There may be a point in time for the folks there [in BC, Alberta and Saskatchewan] to take a break and for new people to cycle in to replace them.”

More detail: NWT Fire map and wildfire situation report

Olsen also wants to send NWT personnel to fight fires in other provinces for educational purposes. He believes they can learn more from working with different teams.

That said, the Northwest Territories is not yet entirely free of fire risk this summer.

“We are still in drought-type conditions for areas around Great Slave Lake and still do need significant rain – we’re talking four to five inches, in most cases, to bring things back to normal,” said Olsen.

“But what has happened is the scope of the overall area affected has been reduced, so chances of new fire starts are diminishing and areas of concern we had a month ago aren’t so much a concern any more. We’re expecting a lesser and lesser chance of lightning.”

The wildfire south of Hay River is now sufficiently under control that it will simply be monitored for the time being, with local fire crews expected to handle any remaining issues.

The fire burning around 60 km east of Yellowknife, which has the potential to threaten the Reid Lake area, is still being “actively managed” according to Olsen – who said “significant dry spots” remain in the areas east of the city.

 

Ollie Williams
Ollie Williams
Hello! I'm the one with the British accent. Thanks for supporting CJCD. To contact me, you can email me, find me on Twitter or call (867) 920-4663.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

NTPC warns of potential short outages in Inuvik

The Northwest Territories Power Corporation is warning residents of Inuvik that during planned work on the local power plant the community may experience short intermittent power outages.

Yellowknife police announce Bike Bait program to deter bike theft

Yellowknife RCMP has announced they will be launching a ‘Bike Bait’ program to help prevent bicycle theft this summer.

Wildfire prevention to continue across southern NWT in coming weeks

Wildfire prevention activities are taking place in southern regions of the territory this week. Crews are working on tree line remediation and wildfire prevention in Hay River, while Fort Smith saw a prescribed burn Wednesday. Today, territorial officials plan to announce a new wildfire prevention program.

Skills Canada NWT announces list of competitors for national competition

Skills Canada NWT has announced Team NWT, 19 competitors from the territory who will be travelling to compete in the Skills Canada National Competition next week.  

Early Childhood Infrastructure Fund split into separate funding streams

The Government of the Northwest Territories has announced that the Early Childhood Infrastructure Fund will now be split into three distinct funding streams.