100.1 GO FM - We're Your Feel Good Pop Station

NWT’s volunteers in Toronto as Pan American Games begin

Volunteers from the Northwest Territories have begun work at the 2015 Pan American Games, ahead of Friday’s opening ceremony in Toronto.

According to Team Canada, no Canadian athletes of the 719 participating in the Games were born in the NWT.

However, Yellowknifer Keirra Alty is one of around three dozen residents of the territory selected as youth ambassadors for the Games.

“I think it’s a great opportunity to get kids out of their communities and show them this is what you could do if you really put your mind to it,” Alty, 22, told Moose FM.

“If you dedicate yourself, you could potentially be at this stage.”

Her duties involve accreditation checks for athletes and media, alongside helping spectators.

“There’s the Last Mile Crew,” she explained. “They strategically place you around the venue and you get to cheer on the spectators as they walk to the venue. ‘You only have one mile to go! Keep going this way!’ It’ll be an interesting one.

“I’m hoping the American basketball team comes by – I think it’d be interesting to just see them, not even really talk to them, and see what they’re about. And I’d obviously like to see the Canadian athletes and be in their presence in general.”

Training for the volunteers began earlier this year, with a two-person team sent to Yellowknife by Games organizers.

Among other tips for assisting spectators in Toronto, volunteers from the NWT have been encouraged to speak about their home territory while working at the Games.

Ollie Williams
Ollie Williams
Hello! I'm the one with the British accent. Thanks for supporting CJCD. To contact me, you can email me, find me on Twitter or call (867) 920-4663.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Task Force Grizzly push full steam ahead after braving weeks of 24/7 extreme cold

Over 200 members of the 41 Canadian Brigade group, part of the militia known as Task Force Grizzly, were out on (and in) a frozen lake in Yellowknife on Friday morning. They were there participating in an ice rescue exercise on the last leg of what was a two week mission for some. The brigade was part of a larger mission known as Operation Nanook-Nuvailivut, made up of members of Joint Task Force North who travelled from Edmonton to Yellowknife

Ambe Chenemu makes way for Black Histories in North, makes way for change

A gathering of people from across the territory and beyond overflowed from the visitor centre space on Thursday evening in Yellowknife to hear Ambe Chenemu speak. Chemenu is the founder of BACupNorth, a Black Advocacy Coalition. A trailblazing community visionary, Chenemu is also a lead member of a number of advocacy groups, board chair for NWT Integrated and Community Services, along with leading a number of health, housing and economic development organizations.

Minister urges feds to provide long-term funding for Inuit Child First program

The government of Canada has announced a plan to extend funding for the Inuit Child First Initiative. In response, Education Minister Caitlin Cleveland said that it is a positive sign. The minister added that it remains unclear whether the guidelines for Inuit Child First or Jordan’s Principle have changed in a way that allows children and families to better access services in the N.W.T.

AVENS awards honour “650 years of collective service” for care workers

AVENS announced that they are holding a ceremony in honour of long-term staff at the facility, which first opened its doors over 40 years ago in the city of Yellowknife. The “Going the Extra Mile for Seniors” Awards ceremony will celebrate “650 years of collective service.”In an announcement today, Colleen Wellborn, Chair of the AVENS Board of Directors said the event highlights dedicated staff, whose contributions are “vital” to the older adult community.

Youth suspect arrested following social media threats

A youth suspect has been arrested by Hay River RCMP after police were made aware of a threatening post on social media made yesterday.