Evacuate today: City of Yellowknife

The city is urging all residents who haven’t left yet to leave today. In a statement Friday the city did not mince words and said “EVACUATE TODAY”

“All residents, including families of essential staff, need to evacuate by TODAY – Friday, August 18, 2023,” reads a statement released by the city. If you’re able to get out of the region by vehicle, Highway 3 southbound remains open, and will as long as possible.

For those who aren’t able to leave by ground, air evacuations remain in progress, and city officials are urging everyone to pack up whatever they feel they need to, and register to leave as soon as possible.

“Go to Sir John Franklin School to register and get on flights. If you need a ride, call 867-444-0115. Currently, there are no wait lines but as the day progresses there may be due to the number of residents being evacuated. Come prepared for that possibility, but the GNWT is working hard to minimize wait lines,” the statement continues.

Those who are in the midst of packing up, it’s suggested to pack enough clothes, prescription medication, personal identification, and other essential items to last a few days, including requirements for pets. Residents are also being asked to turn off all non-essential electrical appliances and then shut off the main breaker panel, as well as move portable propane cylinders away from any house or structure to an area where fire impact will be minimal.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Fort Simpson police ask for assistance in shooting investigation

Fort Simpson RCMP are asking for assistance from the public in relation to their ongoing investigation into a shooting last week.

$55 million contract awarded for housing development on 54th Avenue

Housing NWT has announced that a construction contract for a 64-unit housing development in Yellowknife has been awarded to PCL Construction.

Norman Wells RCMP respond to reports of bootlegging activity

One suspect has been charged by Norman Wells RCMP following their response to reports of bootlegging activity within the community.

Housing NWT launches new Technical Team pilot project

Housing NWT has announced their new Technical Team pilot project in the Beaufort Delta, Sahtu, and Nahendeh districts to improve the delivery of repairs and provide preventative maintenance.

U.S. delays Canadian tariffs three days as Trump claims trade deal

The United States postponed planned 50 per cent tariffs on a range of Canadian goods for three days as U.S. President Donald Trump said the two countries had reached a trade deal.