Listen Live
HomeSportsYellowknife's St. Pat's High School to launch Sports School

Yellowknife’s St. Pat’s High School to launch Sports School

Yellowknife’s École St. Patrick High School is set to introduce a new program for students with an interest in high-performance sports.

The new Sport School, which will launch at the start of the next school year, will allow young athletes to develop their speed, strength and agility through training, nutrition and sport psychology.

Todd Stewart, vice principal at École. St Patrick High School, says it will run in conjunction with other sports academies already established at the school.

“In the previous years most of our academies were sports-specific academies so we’ve had basketball, hockey, volleyball, soccer and so forth.

- Advertisement -

“This academy is non-sport specific so basically it’s helping our students train so that when they’re with their clubs programs, the training is done and all they have to focus on are any sports-specific skills they need.“

Stewart says the Sport School will run during regular school hours, but it shouldn’t get in the way of learning.

“We still want our students to be academically well-rounded and focused in all their courses so these courses would be during their phys-ed time and options time.

“We’re pretty excited about this opportunity for our kids. We think it’s a great chance for them to condition.

“It’s going to be a wonderful addition for any of our athletes who are looking to get a step ahead.”

- Advertisement -

École St. Patrick High School principal Coleen McDonald says she’s proud that both Yellowknife high schools are offering programs to support elite athletes.

Sir John Franklin High School announced a similar Sport School in April.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading

All