On November 10th, 2022, the Yellowknife RCMP executed a search warrant pursuant to the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act in Yellowknife, NT. During the search, investigators recovered 197 grams of crack-cocaine, thirty-four hundred dollars cash, material used to produce crack-cocaine and a loaded semi-automatic handgun.
Mikail ALKITHIRY, 28 years old, of Etobicoke, Ontario is charged with:
- Possession of a Controlled Substance for the Purpose of Trafficking – Section 5(2) of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act
- Possession of Materials Used to Produce a Controlled Substance – Section 7(1) of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act
- Possession of the Proceeds of Crime – Section 354(1) Criminal Code
- Unlawful Possession of a Restricted Firearm – Section 95(2) Criminal Code
- Unsafe Storage of a Firearm – Section 86(1) Criminal Code
- Possession of a Weapon for a Dangerous Purpose – Section 88(2) Criminal Code.
ALKITHIRY was remanded in custody and set to next appear in court on November 14th, 2022. This investigation is on going and additional charges are anticipated.
The Yellowknife RCMP remain committed to investigating and disrupting drug trafficking within the Yellowknife area and the Northwest Territories at large. Organized crime groups from outside the Territory continue to take advantage of Northwest Territories residents struggling with addictions. The public remains the best source of information about these illicit and exploitative activities. Anyone who has information about drug trafficking in the Yellowknife area is asked to contact the Yellowknife RCMP at 669-1111.