â–ş Listen Live
HomeNewsDrop the Pop 2021-22 Winners Announced

Drop the Pop 2021-22 Winners Announced

Julie Green, Minister of Health and Social Services, has just announced 15 winners in this years’ Drop the Pop campaign.

A total of 29 NWT schools across the NWT participated in the annual campaign created to challenge students to find innovative ways to promote healthy beverage choices. The winning schools will be awarded prizes ranging from $500 to $2000 in recognition of their efforts in raising awareness about the importance of healthy living and positive choices.

In the South Slave region, the Chief Sunrise Education Center on the Hay River Reserve received $2000 for inviting a guest teacher to discuss video production and for producing a video on healthy beverages. Students also participated in cultural activities involving water.

Princess Alexandra School in Hay River received $1500 for participating in a school-wide Drop the Pop challenge using posters and linking physical activity involving water.

- Advertisement -

In the Deh Cho District Education Authority, Deh Gah Elementary and Secondary School received $1500 for providing teacher-guided lessons on healthy choices and on a poster campaign to drop sugary beverages.

In Yellowknife, Ecole St. Joseph school received $1500 to promote Drink NWT Water and to develop a Sugar Shocker display. Students also researched the impact of plastic water bottles on the environment.

2022 marks the 16th year for the Drop the Pop campaign.

Drop the Pop is an annual campaign supported by the Department of Health and Social Services that encourages students, families, schools, and communities to:

o drink healthy beverages, especially water;

o eat a wide variety of healthy foods from the store and from local harvests;

- Advertisement -

o learn new skills and knowledge to be more self-sufficient, and;

o foster long-term healthy food and beverage habits so families can maintain and/or improve their overall wellbeing.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading

All