Canadian Armed Forces Conduct Drills Near Tuktoyaktuk

The Canadian Armed Forces are conducting a series of activities near Tuktoyaktuk and Inuvik.

Operation NANOOK-NUNALIVUT 2022 first began on Tuesday, February 15th. It is allowing the CAF to perform a series of joint multinational activities in Canada’s Arctic to improve domain awareness and demonstrate the CAF’s ability to rapidly project forces throughout the North.

Residents in the affected areas may have noticed a slight increase in military traffic, both on the ground, and in the air. CAF personnel and equipment will be moved and deployed throughout communities around Tuktoyaktuk and Inuvik for the duration of the exercise.

Local residents can expect a minimal disruption to their regular day to day activities, as the Joint Task Force (North) aims to maintain good environmental stewardship. Every effort will be made to not disrupt the peace of any area they conduct business in.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all deployed CAF personnel will adhere to strict Territorial and Department of National Defense COVID-19 health protection measures, and activities are being carefully planned to mitigate any potential risk of exposure to COVID-19 by military members and the local population. CAF personnel taking part in Op NANOOK-NUNALIVUT 22 will be staying in separate military accommodations in Tuktoyaktuk and Inuvik or on the land away from the local community.

Connor Pitre
Connor Pitre
Born and raised in Central Alberta, Connor Pitre attended the Western Academy Broadcasting College in Saskatchewan, before making his way to the NWT in November of 2021. Since then, he has become a regular staple of the True North FM crew in the News department, and occasionally filling in on the afternoon show.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Carney said Canada was attacked, pointed to divisions inside Trump administration

Prime Minister Mark Carney said Canada was under economic attack Saturday after trade negotiations collapsed, new U.S. tariffs took effect and he suggested divisions inside U.S. President Donald Trump’s administration contributed to the breakdown.

Canada vows dollar-for-dollar retaliation as 50-per-cent U.S. tariffs take effect

Canada suspended trade negotiations with the United States and pledged dollar-for-dollar retaliation as additional 50-per-cent U.S. tariffs took effect early Saturday on about $28 billion in Canadian goods.

Prince George plane lost engine power before fatal crash, investigators say

A plane that made a fatal emergency landing on a Prince George road Thursday lost power in one engine before colliding with four vehicles, the Transportation Safety Board of Canada said.

Temporary suspension of labour and delivery services in Inuvik extended

The Northwest Territories Health and Social Services Authority has announced that they will be extending the temporary suspension of labour and delivery services at the Inuvik Regional Hospital.

Planned ignition underway in Behchokǫ̀

NWT Fire has announced that wildfire crews and aircraft will be in Behchokǫ̀ on Friday, August 21 to work towards a planned ignition.