Positive COVID-19 cases identified at two YK schools, both remaining open

Two students from Yellowknife schools have tested positive for COVID-19.

The students are from École St. Patrick High School and École Sir John Franklin School.

The Office of the Chief Public Health Officer says the two cases are unrelated and the infections were not acquired at school.

They add that due to the use of masks in all school settings, the risk of transmission is low.

Superintendent of Yellowknife Catholic Schools Simone Gessler informed parents today by letter that the St. Pat’s individual is currently at home and the situation is being closely monitored.

Gessler says the school will continue to follow all of the required Office of the Chief Public Health Officer guidelines, including St. Pats remaining open.

“We ask for your support in continuing to screen your child before coming to school and ask that any student showing symptoms remain home,” the statement reads.

The letter asks that parents stay informed of the situation, which may change at any time.

“We will follow-up with additional information for any students that may be self-isolating,” she adds.

Both schools have begun contacting affected students directly.

Yellowknife as a whole has 52 active cases as of noon today. The OCPHO says there is currently a low level of community transmission in the city.

Keven Dow
Keven Dow
News. Keven moved here from Ontario in November of 2018. As of December Keven is back to doing full-time news after transitioning into a news/mid-days position in late 2019. Prior to that, he was doing weekends/news for about 8-9 months. He's from a small tomato town in Ontario and went to College at Fanshawe for Radio Broadcasting. He loves talking about sports, entertainment, the community, and local events. Got a news tip? Email me at [email protected]

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Early Childhood Infrastructure Fund split into separate funding streams

The Government of the Northwest Territories has announced that the Early Childhood Infrastructure Fund will now be split into three distinct funding streams.

Ministers congratulate new Major Project Review Tool

Ministers Jay Macdonald, Caitlin Cleveland, and Caroline Wawzonek have released a statement following the launch of the Mackenzie Valley Environmental Impact Review Board’s new Regional Database and Major Project Review Tool last week.

Tests at Łutsel K’e Dene School show safe drinking water

Water testing for the Łutsel K’e Dene School has been completed, showing lead levels below the maximum acceptable level in all water fixtures.

Northern Distance Learning Program plans to expand in upcoming school year

The Northwest Territories’ Northern Distance Learning Program has undergone an evaluation to help guide improvements to the program, improving student access to virtual high school programming.

Yellowknife Kidney Walk to be held this weekend

The Kidney Foundation of Canada will be holding the annual Yellowknife Kidney walk this Sunday, May 24.