One COVID-19 case confirmed in Fort Smith

An NWT resident in Fort Smith who returned from travel from outside the territory has been diagnosed with COVID-19.

The person is isolating and doing well.

No public exposures occurred, and the Office of the Chief Public Health Officer has not identified any risk to the public.

Acting CPHO Andre Corriveau says an increase in COVID-19 introductions into NWT is expected as case numbers increase across Canada, public health measures are relaxed in many places, and travel volume into NWT increases.

“Evidence is showing that the Delta variant of COVID-19 is becoming more common in Canada,” he adds.

Corriveau says COVID-19 is shifting to a pandemic of the unvaccinated and that those who are not protected are at higher risk.

“Getting vaccinated is the best protection for yourself and your community'” he adds.

For more information on the Delta Variant, residents can search in the Frequently Asked Questions section of the GNWT COVID-19 website.

Keven Dow
Keven Dow
News. Keven moved here from Ontario in November of 2018. As of December Keven is back to doing full-time news after transitioning into a news/mid-days position in late 2019. Prior to that, he was doing weekends/news for about 8-9 months. He's from a small tomato town in Ontario and went to College at Fanshawe for Radio Broadcasting. He loves talking about sports, entertainment, the community, and local events. Got a news tip? Email me at [email protected]

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Wildfire prevention to continue across southern NWT in coming weeks

Wildfire prevention activities are taking place in southern regions of the territory this week. Crews are working on tree line remediation and wildfire prevention in Hay River, while Fort Smith saw a prescribed burn Wednesday. Today, territorial officials plan to announce a new wildfire prevention program.

Skills Canada NWT announces list of competitors for national competition

Skills Canada NWT has announced Team NWT, 19 competitors from the territory who will be travelling to compete in the Skills Canada National Competition next week.  

Early Childhood Infrastructure Fund split into separate funding streams

The Government of the Northwest Territories has announced that the Early Childhood Infrastructure Fund will now be split into three distinct funding streams.

Ministers congratulate new Major Project Review Tool

Ministers Jay Macdonald, Caitlin Cleveland, and Caroline Wawzonek have released a statement following the launch of the Mackenzie Valley Environmental Impact Review Board’s new Regional Database and Major Project Review Tool last week.

Tests at Łutsel K’e Dene School show safe drinking water

Water testing for the Łutsel K’e Dene School has been completed, showing lead levels below the maximum acceptable level in all water fixtures.