Flooding preparations continue as more communities could be impacted

The risk of flooding has moved down river as the local government and the GNWT prepare for the next communities to be impacted by flooding, as spring breakup continues.

The Regional Emergency Management Organization (EMO) says it has lowered its support in Norman Wells and Tulita as risks have subsided. EMO is also monitoring water levels in the Beaufort Delta, with flooding potentially coming in the future.

Fort Good Hope may be one of the next communities to be impacted by flooding. EMO identified an ice jam present downriver near Fort Good Hope earlier this week. Fire crews and regional staff are preparing for flooding in the area.  A small charter community, Fort Good Hope sits on the banks of the Mackenzie River in the Sahtu region.

Speaking with CBC, Roger Plouffe, the director of emergency services in Fort Good Hope, said on Tuesday the community is still on flood watch and while no state of emergency has been called yet, it’s still on the table. 

He added an emergency hadn’t been declared in part because the river flow was “behaving” as expected, and people in flood risk areas “basically evacuated” already.

The EMO said in a statement that it is working on getting satellite imagery from the Government Operations Centre and Natural Resources Canada, and optical imagery from Joint Task Force North and other sources.

 It is also consulting with Alberta river ice experts to better predict potential ice movement.


This comes as communities who have already evacuated are slowly starting to return to their homes and assess the damages. 

Around 115 evacuees returned to Fort Simpson from Fort Smith yesterday by charter flight, with residents of the island returning to their homes and beginning to assess the damage.


Jean Marie River residents who are evacuated to Fort Providence haven’t returned to their community. Some residents who remained in the community have already returned to homes in feet of water

Tyrone Sanguez, who lives in the community, said in a Facebook message that he and several other residents had been spending days out on the land while they waited for water levels to lower.

Bailey Moreton
Bailey Moreton
Bailey is new to the north, arriving from Ottawa where he studied journalism at Carleton University. He has worked for newspapers in Halifax, Windsor, and Ottawa. He came to the north hoping to see polar bears. He will settle for a bison. If you have a tip, send it to 905 252-9781, or [email protected].

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Northern Distance Learning Program plans to expand in upcoming school year

The Northwest Territories’ Northern Distance Learning Program has undergone an evaluation to help guide improvements to the program, improving student access to virtual high school programming.

Yellowknife Kidney Walk to be held this weekend

The Kidney Foundation of Canada will be holding the annual Yellowknife Kidney walk this Sunday, May 24. 

GNWT asks for feedback on budget decisions

As the territory continues through the current period of economic transition, the GNWT is asking residents to share their views on the territories' budgeting decisions.

“Bears are back!” (again)

With bears in the territory awakening from hibernation, the department of the Environment warn bears are “active” in the NWT and urge folks to take steps to keep a distance and keep safe. The N.W.T. is known as “bear country’ and home to black, grizzly and polar bears. While bears generally avoid contact with people, encounters happen.

Fort Providence RCMP charge suspect following search warrant

Fort Providence RCMP says they have arrested and charged a suspect with drug charges following the execution of a search warrant.