100.1 GO FM - We're Your Feel Good Pop Station

Hay River strike: Town withdraws latest offer, accuses union

The Town of Hay River says it’s withdrawing its latest offer to end the ongoing strike.

Mayor Andrew Cassidy claims the Union of Northern Workers has gone back on its word, and says negotiations have consequently been paused.

The union argues it’s simply asking for a return to work agreement, which it calls a “common practice”, and denies it has done anything wrong.

Statements published by both sides on Monday end a week-long media blackout – which the town says the union requested.

Town and union bargaining teams have been working with a federal conciliation officer to resolve their dispute, as a strike by town workers nears its fifth month.

The town says it offered workers a 1.7 percent year-on-year wage increase, over three years, “in a sincere effort to end the strike”. That’s a small increase on any previous publicized offer.

In Monday’s statement, Cassidy claimed the union had agreed to put that offer to its membership – but went back on its word and later asked for more conditions.

“These conditions were not discussed during the negotiations. The town confirmed with the conciliation officer that there had been no discussion of those preconditions,” said Cassidy.

The town has now withdrawn its offer on the grounds that the union did not put that offer to its membership as agreed.

Cassidy says the offer will be reinstated if the union confirms it will take the original terms to a vote by town employees, “without any other conditions”.

The union says this is not the whole story.

It says workers “are prepared to vote on the employer’s offer once a return to work agreement is put in place”.

The union’s statement adds: “A return to work agreement is a protocol that states the conditions for employees to return to work following a labour dispute.

“The agreement is not a new condition imposed by the union, but is instead a common practice in all contract negotiations that protects the interests of both the workers and the employer.

“Union representatives have made clear the need for an agreement throughout the negotiations.”

Gayla Thunstrom, union vice-president, said: “We’ve promised to take the town’s offer to the membership, and we will. But not before we can give our members all the facts.”

Workers first went out on strike on February 9.

Ollie Williams
Ollie Williams
Hello! I'm the one with the British accent. Thanks for supporting CJCD. To contact me, you can email me, find me on Twitter or call (867) 920-4663.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Yellowknife group calls out for support on No More Loopholes Act

A local advocacy group are calling on territorial and federal leaders to stand behind a proposed law aimed to prevent unregulated weapons and weapon component exports into the U.S. The group is hoping that leaders will back Bill C-233 to help prevent the unregulated movement of weapons.

Federal Environment Minister warns health of Mackenzie River Basin at risk

In an announcement issued last week, federal Environment Minister Julie Dabrusin acknowledged that the critical basin is facing “water quality, quantity” challenges due to industrial activities and climate change. "[T]he health of the river basin is challenged by impacts to water quality, quantity and traditional use due to industrial activities, and by climate change impacts such as increasing sediment from melting permafrost and changes to aquatic species,” said Minister Dabrusin.

Power outages in Fort McPherson and Inuvik

Two northern communities in the NWT experienced power outages this morning, but both issues have been resolved according to the Northwest Territories Power Cooperation. 

Areas of NWT’s north and south facing wind chill values as low as -60

Environment Canada has issued extreme cold alerts for northern and southern areas of of the N.W.T. with wind chill temperatures as low as minus 60 forecasted to extend into mid week.“A period of very cold wind chills near minus 50 will begin tonight and continue until Wednesday or Thursday,” read a message from forecasters with the agency

Young women and gender diverse leaders wanted in the North

The YWCA NWT and the Fora Network for Change are co-hosting two public events this week focused on advancing “equitable, inclusive” leadership opportunities for young women and gender diverse leaders in the North.