All sports in Yellowknife cancelled for youth 18 and under

As the NWT reckons with a spike in COVID-19 cases in Yellowknife, sports and extracurricular activities in the city have been cancelled for youth.

All sports for people under the age of 18 in Yellowknife, Dettah and Ndilǫ̨, including sports outside of school are to be cancelled, according to the Office of the Chief Public Health Officer.

NWT Soccer said all its activity in Yellowknife would be suspended until further notice.

A number of school sports events had been cancelled throughout the territory, including the Junior and Senior Super Soccer Tournament scheduled to happen in Yellowknife on April 21 and 25 and April 28 to May 2 respectively.

The upcoming track and field tournament in Yellowknife and the territory wide event in Hay River have already been cancelled.

This comes as part of a number of changes in Yellowknife, Ndilǫ̨, and Dettah. Masks are now mandatory in indoor spaces, day care and day homes remain open, non-essential travel outside of the three communities is discouraged and if possible residents are encouraged to work from home.

In addition to school sports, schools as a whole in Yellowknife, Ndilǫ̨ and Dettah are closed after six cases of COVID-19 have been confirmed.

Ten more cases in the city are waiting to be confirmed. The six cases are considered a cluster and an outbreak has not been declared because the exposure chain has been identified.

Bailey Moreton
Bailey Moreton
Bailey is new to the north, arriving from Ottawa where he studied journalism at Carleton University. He has worked for newspapers in Halifax, Windsor, and Ottawa. He came to the north hoping to see polar bears. He will settle for a bison. If you have a tip, send it to 905 252-9781, or [email protected].

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Carney said Canada was attacked, pointed to divisions inside Trump administration

Prime Minister Mark Carney said Canada was under economic attack Saturday after trade negotiations collapsed, new U.S. tariffs took effect and he suggested divisions inside U.S. President Donald Trump’s administration contributed to the breakdown.

Canada vows dollar-for-dollar retaliation as 50-per-cent U.S. tariffs take effect

Canada suspended trade negotiations with the United States and pledged dollar-for-dollar retaliation as additional 50-per-cent U.S. tariffs took effect early Saturday on about $28 billion in Canadian goods.

Prince George plane lost engine power before fatal crash, investigators say

A plane that made a fatal emergency landing on a Prince George road Thursday lost power in one engine before colliding with four vehicles, the Transportation Safety Board of Canada said.

Temporary suspension of labour and delivery services in Inuvik extended

The Northwest Territories Health and Social Services Authority has announced that they will be extending the temporary suspension of labour and delivery services at the Inuvik Regional Hospital.

Planned ignition underway in Behchokǫ̀

NWT Fire has announced that wildfire crews and aircraft will be in Behchokǫ̀ on Friday, August 21 to work towards a planned ignition.