Hay River road and sewer contract awarded to Rowe Construction


Hay River council approved the awarding of a road and sewer maintenance contract to local company, Rowe’s Construction.

The contract will see Rowe’s complete upgrades to the water and sewer infrastructure and road surface on Riverview Drive and Beaver Crescent with construction to take place starting in the spring of 2021 and continuing through the summer of 2022.

The contract is worth $8.8 million which is lower than the $9.6 million the company initially bid. 

That was higher than the town expected, and the town was able to negotiate the company down via a consulting architecture firm, according to town documents.

The lower price means the town will have to cover maintenance costs of the stretch of road during the winter when construction work isn’t happening, according to Mike Auge, Director of Public Works for the Town of River.

But the maintenance work shouldn’t be more costly than in previous years when the town has been responsible, Auge said in a council meeting on Monday.

Rowe’s Construction was the only company to bid for the project, which raised concerns for Councillor Brian Williams, who is also the chair of the finance committee.

“My other concern is when we only get one person bidding on a job, we have no way of testing the market,” said Williams. “So I have no clear picture of whether our cost projections are invalid.“

Senior administrative officer Glenn Smith said the price was discussed with Stantec, the engineering consultant on the project who negotiated the lower price with Rowe’s Construction.

Bailey Moreton
Bailey Moreton
Bailey is new to the north, arriving from Ottawa where he studied journalism at Carleton University. He has worked for newspapers in Halifax, Windsor, and Ottawa. He came to the north hoping to see polar bears. He will settle for a bison. If you have a tip, send it to 905 252-9781, or [email protected].

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Fort Simpson police ask for assistance in shooting investigation

Fort Simpson RCMP are asking for assistance from the public in relation to their ongoing investigation into a shooting last week.

$55 million contract awarded for housing development on 54th Avenue

Housing NWT has announced that a construction contract for a 64-unit housing development in Yellowknife has been awarded to PCL Construction.

Norman Wells RCMP respond to reports of bootlegging activity

One suspect has been charged by Norman Wells RCMP following their response to reports of bootlegging activity within the community.

Housing NWT launches new Technical Team pilot project

Housing NWT has announced their new Technical Team pilot project in the Beaufort Delta, Sahtu, and Nahendeh districts to improve the delivery of repairs and provide preventative maintenance.

U.S. delays Canadian tariffs three days as Trump claims trade deal

The United States postponed planned 50 per cent tariffs on a range of Canadian goods for three days as U.S. President Donald Trump said the two countries had reached a trade deal.