NWT fire bans, road closure highlight start of fire season

It’s been an intense start to the NWT’s wildfire season, and if current weather patterns persist, things might not get better anytime soon.

As of Thursday afternoon, 45 fires had been reported across the NWT. By this time last year, there were only four.

Richard Olsen, the territory’s manager of fire operations, told Moose FM the area of burnt land is already three times larger than the average year at this time.

According to the NWT’s current wildfire situation report, more than 40,000 hectares of land have been affected by fires so far.

Extremely dry conditions and lightning are to blame for a majority of the fires but a number have also been caused by humans.

Read: Airport Brush Fires As Burning Ban In Yellowknife Takes Effect

“Conditions are quite dry,” said Olsen. “There’s been a little bit of a reprieve in some areas from light rain that’s gone through but the majority of areas are still experiencing cooler but very dry conditions.”

FIRES
A live fire map from www.nwtfire.com.

Those conditions are certainly present in Yellowknife and Hay River – where fire bans have been implemented in the past week.

The fire danger for both communities is listed as extreme and little, if any, precipitation is forecast in the coming week.

Olsen says 40 firefighters are actively working on wildfires in the territory. The territorial government is also looking at getting some out-of-territory assistance.

“We’re looking at bringing in some fire behaviour specialists and some value protection specialists to help us take a really good look at some of these fires that may, in future, pose a risk to values,” he said.

Read: NWT Highway 3 To Close Between Fort Providence And Behchoko

At the moment, Olsen says fire crews are concentrating most of their efforts in the Deh Cho region, where 24 fires have already been reported this season.

Crews are also busy 60 kilometers south of Behchoko, where a wildfire east of Highway 3 has forced officials to close the route between Behchoko and Fort Providence for at least 12 hours on Friday to conduct a burnout operation.

The fire is roughly 5,000 hectares in size. Smoky conditions are expected in the area for the next couple of days.

We’ll provide updates on road conditions as we receive them.

To report smoke or fire in the forest, call 1-877-NWT-FIRE.

 

Mike Gibbins
Mike Gibbins
Hello and thank you for listening to 100.1 Moose FM! To contact me, you can email me, find me on Twitter or call (867) 920-4663.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Carney said Canada was attacked, pointed to divisions inside Trump administration

Prime Minister Mark Carney said Canada was under economic attack Saturday after trade negotiations collapsed, new U.S. tariffs took effect and he suggested divisions inside U.S. President Donald Trump’s administration contributed to the breakdown.

Canada vows dollar-for-dollar retaliation as 50-per-cent U.S. tariffs take effect

Canada suspended trade negotiations with the United States and pledged dollar-for-dollar retaliation as additional 50-per-cent U.S. tariffs took effect early Saturday on about $28 billion in Canadian goods.

Prince George plane lost engine power before fatal crash, investigators say

A plane that made a fatal emergency landing on a Prince George road Thursday lost power in one engine before colliding with four vehicles, the Transportation Safety Board of Canada said.

Temporary suspension of labour and delivery services in Inuvik extended

The Northwest Territories Health and Social Services Authority has announced that they will be extending the temporary suspension of labour and delivery services at the Inuvik Regional Hospital.

Planned ignition underway in Behchokǫ̀

NWT Fire has announced that wildfire crews and aircraft will be in Behchokǫ̀ on Friday, August 21 to work towards a planned ignition.