100.1 GO FM - We're Your Feel Good Pop Station

Bill to prevent power limiting passes second reading

A bill that would stop the GNWT from limiting power for residents who’ve fallen behind on payments during the winter has passed its second reading.

If passed, it would see both residents’ and the Northwest Territories Power Corporations’ debts grow perpetually, according to R.J. Simpson.

MLA Jackie Jacobson moved the bill which would prevent the GNWT from disconnecting a resident’s power between October 1 to April 30, if temperatures dropped below zero.

The bill would also require the NTPC to switch a resident’s power back on if they had it switched off between May 1 to September 30, when October 1 hits.

It would also prevent the installation of power limiters, and require the NTPC to put residents who fell behind on payments on a repayment plan.

“It would essentially create a right to receive power while removing the obligation to pay for it. This would have a number of negative impacts on our residents,” Simpson said in response to the bill. 

“We would undoubtedly see some customers become burdened with large and perpetually growing debts, and as a consequence, the power companies would see their uncollectible debts grow.”

Simpson says they already saw this happen when overdue payment swerve paused during the pandemic. Payments restarted in October.

“NTPC is sensitive to the economic challenges that the pandemic continues to pose for customers but cannot afford to maintain the status quo,” Noel Voykin, President and CEO, Northwest Territories Power Corporation, said in a statement

The territorial power provider had suspended collections and disconnections on March 16. In that time, more than $2 million in overdue accounts has accumulated.

“Ultimately, the lost revenue created as a result of this bill would have to be recouped through the ratepayers meaning higher power rates and higher bills for everyone,” Simpson added.

The bill is now headed to committee.

After it clears the committee, it will go for a third reading and then a vote.

Bailey Moreton
Bailey Moreton
Bailey is new to the north, arriving from Ottawa where he studied journalism at Carleton University. He has worked for newspapers in Halifax, Windsor, and Ottawa. He came to the north hoping to see polar bears. He will settle for a bison. If you have a tip, send it to 905 252-9781, or [email protected].

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

A13 year old Indigenous youth is missing from Behchokǫ̀

A 13 year old Indigenous youth who was last seen leaving his home in Behchokǫ̀ at 4 pm yesterday is missing. Police are asking the public for information to help locate him.

Yellowknife group calls out for support on No More Loopholes Act

A local advocacy group are calling on territorial and federal leaders to stand behind a proposed law aimed to prevent unregulated weapons and weapon component exports into the U.S. The group is hoping that leaders will back Bill C-233 to help prevent the unregulated movement of weapons.

Federal Environment Minister warns health of Mackenzie River Basin at risk

In an announcement issued last week, federal Environment Minister Julie Dabrusin acknowledged that the critical basin is facing “water quality, quantity” challenges due to industrial activities and climate change. "[T]he health of the river basin is challenged by impacts to water quality, quantity and traditional use due to industrial activities, and by climate change impacts such as increasing sediment from melting permafrost and changes to aquatic species,” said Minister Dabrusin.

Power outages in Fort McPherson and Inuvik

Two northern communities in the NWT experienced power outages this morning, but both issues have been resolved according to the Northwest Territories Power Cooperation. 

Areas of NWT’s north and south facing wind chill values as low as -60

Environment Canada has issued extreme cold alerts for northern and southern areas of of the N.W.T. with wind chill temperatures as low as minus 60 forecasted to extend into mid week.“A period of very cold wind chills near minus 50 will begin tonight and continue until Wednesday or Thursday,” read a message from forecasters with the agency