Dr. Kami Kandola, the territory’s chief public health officer, says the territory will be updating the Emerging Wisely document come April, to see when the NWT can move to phase three.
She says before any decision is made, they want to allow for more people to have the opportunity to get their second dose.
“Phase three has been promising in terms of where we’re at. With the vaccine uptake it makes it more favorable, but it’s not where it needs to be at yet,” she adds.
Kandola says the wait also has to do with March Break approaching and the potential variants of concern across Canada that could be brought back to the NWT if residents decide to leave.
“We couldn’t do it today and we couldn’t do it two weeks ago. But towards late April, there’s a strong possibility we can do it,” she adds.
Phase four however is still ways away as it would mean the lifting of all restrictions.
“That is more of a national and international discussion, it’s not a decision that can be made specific to the NWT,” adds Kandola.
The NWT has been in phase two of four of the Emerging Wisely Covid-19 action plan since June of last year.