100.1 GO FM - We're Your Feel Good Pop Station

Former NWT leader George Braden passes away

George Braden, Government Leader in the Northwest Territories from 1980 to 1984, has died.

The 65-year-old had been diagnosed with gastric cancer in March. He died in Nepean, Ontario, on Monday evening.

“His loving wife of 16 years, Lise, was at his side, and many of us were able to share a few precious hours with him over his final days,” said the Braden family in a statement issued on Tuesday.

“George was absolutely resolved that he would live his final days at his home with family and their three beloved spaniel dogs. With the remarkable care and compassion of Lise, and the regional community health service, his wish was fulfilled.

“Throughout his short battle with the disease, George remained strong and positive and ever considerate of the lives of his family and many friends across the North and in Ottawa.”

Braden moved to Yellowknife in 1964 and entered politics as the MLA for Yellowknife North in 1979, in an era before the territory had a designated premier.

He went on to become leader of the executive, or government leader, in 1980.

In all but name, Braden was the first NWT premier of the modern day until the expiry of his term in 1984, when he did not seek re-election.

Since the role of the premier was formally introduced in 1994, Braden has been retroactively awarded the title. Prior to his appointment, the head of government was appointed by the Government of Canada and was referred to as the Commissioner of the Northwest Territories.

Senator Dennis Patterson, for whom Braden recently worked as a policy advisor, paid tribute to George earlier this month.

“George and his colleagues [made] history in settling land claims,” said the Nunavut senator.

“In that connection, Mr Braden has always been proud.

“He was also the first leader in the long and ultimately successful process to assert the rightful place of the territories in First Ministers’ Conferences and constitutional patriation and reform.”

The Braden family added: “We are intensely proud of the role George played in the evolution of the NWT.”

Braden is survived by his wife, Lise Beaudry-Braden; mother, Esther; sister, Sandra Dehnke; and brothers Bill, Max and Pat and their families. Plans for a family remembrance will be announced at a later date.

The family’s statement says “cards and remembrances are very welcome at this difficult time”:

Lise Beaudry-Braden, 9 Nottingham Court, Nepean ON K2J 4P4

The Bradens, Box 2403, Yellowknife NT X1A 2P8

Ollie Williams
Ollie Williams
Hello! I'm the one with the British accent. Thanks for supporting CJCD. To contact me, you can email me, find me on Twitter or call (867) 920-4663.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

A13 year old Indigenous youth is missing from Behchokǫ̀

A 13 year old Indigenous youth who was last seen leaving his home in Behchokǫ̀ at 4 pm yesterday is missing. Police are asking the public for information to help locate him.

Yellowknife group calls out for support on No More Loopholes Act

A local advocacy group are calling on territorial and federal leaders to stand behind a proposed law aimed to prevent unregulated weapons and weapon component exports into the U.S. The group is hoping that leaders will back Bill C-233 to help prevent the unregulated movement of weapons.

Federal Environment Minister warns health of Mackenzie River Basin at risk

In an announcement issued last week, federal Environment Minister Julie Dabrusin acknowledged that the critical basin is facing “water quality, quantity” challenges due to industrial activities and climate change. "[T]he health of the river basin is challenged by impacts to water quality, quantity and traditional use due to industrial activities, and by climate change impacts such as increasing sediment from melting permafrost and changes to aquatic species,” said Minister Dabrusin.

Power outages in Fort McPherson and Inuvik

Two northern communities in the NWT experienced power outages this morning, but both issues have been resolved according to the Northwest Territories Power Cooperation. 

Areas of NWT’s north and south facing wind chill values as low as -60

Environment Canada has issued extreme cold alerts for northern and southern areas of of the N.W.T. with wind chill temperatures as low as minus 60 forecasted to extend into mid week.“A period of very cold wind chills near minus 50 will begin tonight and continue until Wednesday or Thursday,” read a message from forecasters with the agency