Pine Point drilling finds ‘best ever’ quality of metal

Early drilling at Pine Point has found the “best ever” quality of metals at the facility.

The drilling, which was done as part of an infill and hydrogeological program, found deposits of zinc and lead which showed good exploration potential north of where the mine is currently located.

According to Robert Wares, Osisko Metals’ CEO, the latest results are some of the best that’s been seen at Pine Point.

“We are extremely pleased with today’s results as they exceeded current block model predictive grades and are among the best ever reported at Pine Point,” Wares said in a release. 

“The combination of large widths and high grades at shallow depth confirms the unique nature of prismatic mineralization in this camp, and strengthens our resolve to discover new prismatic deposits within our large property package.”

Osikso submitted an environmental review application for the mine back in February, in the hopes of reopening the mine.

The mine was first started in 1964, producing lead and zinc ores between 1964 and 1988.

A town for the workers, Pine Point, was built by then owners Cominco, but was abandoned and demolished when the mine closed in 1988.

Pine Point would produce, on average, over 350 million pounds, or around 150,000 tonnes of zinc during its first 6 years of operation. 

This would make Pine Point the eight largest zinc mine in the world, according to Wares.

The proposed mine would have a ten-year life. Osisko said previously they hoped the mine would be up and running within three years if the review process went well.

Bailey Moreton
Bailey Moreton
Bailey is new to the north, arriving from Ottawa where he studied journalism at Carleton University. He has worked for newspapers in Halifax, Windsor, and Ottawa. He came to the north hoping to see polar bears. He will settle for a bison. If you have a tip, send it to 905 252-9781, or [email protected].

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Canada vows dollar-for-dollar retaliation as 50-per-cent U.S. tariffs take effect

Canada suspended trade negotiations with the United States and pledged dollar-for-dollar retaliation as additional 50-per-cent U.S. tariffs took effect early Saturday on about $28 billion in Canadian goods.

Prince George plane lost engine power before fatal crash, investigators say

A plane that made a fatal emergency landing on a Prince George road Thursday lost power in one engine before colliding with four vehicles, the Transportation Safety Board of Canada said.

Temporary suspension of labour and delivery services in Inuvik extended

The Northwest Territories Health and Social Services Authority has announced that they will be extending the temporary suspension of labour and delivery services at the Inuvik Regional Hospital.

Planned ignition underway in Behchokǫ̀

NWT Fire has announced that wildfire crews and aircraft will be in Behchokǫ̀ on Friday, August 21 to work towards a planned ignition.

Final school in the territory tested for lead

Lead testing of the water at Chief Albert Wright School in Tulita has shown that one water fixture at the school has elevated lead levels.