Four COVID-19 cases confirmed at Gahcho Kué, six total

Four more cases of COVID-19 have been confirmed in workers at the Gahcho Kué Mine, bringing the total number of workers with COVID-19 from the mine to six.

Six presumptive cases had been reported on Saturday.

Stanton Territorial Hospital confirmed two diagnoses on February 6, one on February 8, and one on February 9. 

COVID-19 in the NWT

  • Two of the workers are NWT residents, and are isolating in Yellowknife. The territory’s total number of COVID-19 has risen to 38 as a result.
  • The two Gahcho Kue cases in the mine are the only two active cases in the territory as the case in Fort Liard has recovered.

The vaccine clinic for rotational workers at the mine was set to go ahead this week, but was postponed after an outbreak was declared at the mine on Saturday, and operations were shut down.

Only 130 staff who are essential for care and maintenance are still at the mine, down from over 330 who are normally working at the mine site.

NWT’s Chief Public Health Officer Dr. Kami Kandola said “it was a mutual decision” between the GNWT and the mine to shut down mine operations. 

Non-resident workers from the south have been sent back to their communities and NWT resident workers are isolating in Yellowknife along with high risk contacts.

Kandola said vaccines will be administered to those workers once they have completed their stints in isolation. She added additional “surveillance tools” will be added at the mine to detect COVID-19 outbreaks quicker.

Two previously confirmed diagnoses at the Gahcho Kué Mine were reported on February 3.

The Gahcho Kué mine outbreak isn’t connected with last week’s COVID-19 outbreak at the company’s contractor-operated winter road worksite, where three people with COVID-19 infections have been identified. 

The Gahcho Kué diamond mine is located 40 kilometres from the winter road camp.

Bailey Moreton
Bailey Moreton
Bailey is new to the north, arriving from Ottawa where he studied journalism at Carleton University. He has worked for newspapers in Halifax, Windsor, and Ottawa. He came to the north hoping to see polar bears. He will settle for a bison. If you have a tip, send it to 905 252-9781, or [email protected].

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Carney said Canada was attacked, pointed to divisions inside Trump administration

Prime Minister Mark Carney said Canada was under economic attack Saturday after trade negotiations collapsed, new U.S. tariffs took effect and he suggested divisions inside U.S. President Donald Trump’s administration contributed to the breakdown.

Canada vows dollar-for-dollar retaliation as 50-per-cent U.S. tariffs take effect

Canada suspended trade negotiations with the United States and pledged dollar-for-dollar retaliation as additional 50-per-cent U.S. tariffs took effect early Saturday on about $28 billion in Canadian goods.

Prince George plane lost engine power before fatal crash, investigators say

A plane that made a fatal emergency landing on a Prince George road Thursday lost power in one engine before colliding with four vehicles, the Transportation Safety Board of Canada said.

Temporary suspension of labour and delivery services in Inuvik extended

The Northwest Territories Health and Social Services Authority has announced that they will be extending the temporary suspension of labour and delivery services at the Inuvik Regional Hospital.

Planned ignition underway in Behchokǫ̀

NWT Fire has announced that wildfire crews and aircraft will be in Behchokǫ̀ on Friday, August 21 to work towards a planned ignition.