100.1 GO FM - We're Your Feel Good Pop Station

UPDATE: 3rd worker tests positive at work site near Gahcho Kué

Update 11:20 a.m. Feb 2: A third worker has been diagnosed with COVID-19 at a work site near Gahcho Kué. 

This is the third case of COVID-19 associated with the outbreak at the winter road camp that was reported last week. 

There has been no contact between workers at the winter road camp and the mine site.

No exposure risk has been identified with the case. All workers are either isolating offsite, or working independently to maintain site safety until a new crew arrives.

One non-resident worker has also tested positive for COVID-19 at the Gahcho Kué Mine.

The case is not related to the outbreak at a work site near the Gahcho Kué mine last week, according to NWT’s Chief Public Health Officer Dr. Kami Kandola.

“The Gahcho Kué diamond mine is located 40 km from the company’s winter road camp,” Kandola said in a statement. “Crews do not travel between the two sites.”

There is no risk to any NWT communities. The individual was not infectious during travel into the NWT.

Approximately 12 employees identified as contacts in the workplace are also self-isolating. The result was confirmed at Stanton Hospital in Yellowknife

Bailey Moreton
Bailey Moreton
Bailey is new to the north, arriving from Ottawa where he studied journalism at Carleton University. He has worked for newspapers in Halifax, Windsor, and Ottawa. He came to the north hoping to see polar bears. He will settle for a bison. If you have a tip, send it to 905 252-9781, or [email protected].

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Task Force Grizzly push full steam ahead after braving weeks of 24/7 extreme cold

Over 200 members of the 41 Canadian Brigade group, part of the militia known as Task Force Grizzly, were out on (and in) a frozen lake in Yellowknife on Friday morning. They were there participating in an ice rescue exercise on the last leg of what was a two week mission for some. The brigade was part of a larger mission known as Operation Nanook-Nuvailivut, made up of members of Joint Task Force North who travelled from Edmonton to Yellowknife

Ambe Chenemu makes way for Black Histories in North, makes way for change

A gathering of people from across the territory and beyond overflowed from the visitor centre space on Thursday evening in Yellowknife to hear Ambe Chenemu speak. Chemenu is the founder of BACupNorth, a Black Advocacy Coalition. A trailblazing community visionary, Chenemu is also a lead member of a number of advocacy groups, board chair for NWT Integrated and Community Services, along with leading a number of health, housing and economic development organizations.

Minister urges feds to provide long-term funding for Inuit Child First program

The government of Canada has announced a plan to extend funding for the Inuit Child First Initiative. In response, Education Minister Caitlin Cleveland said that it is a positive sign. The minister added that it remains unclear whether the guidelines for Inuit Child First or Jordan’s Principle have changed in a way that allows children and families to better access services in the N.W.T.

AVENS awards honour “650 years of collective service” for care workers

AVENS announced that they are holding a ceremony in honour of long-term staff at the facility, which first opened its doors over 40 years ago in the city of Yellowknife. The “Going the Extra Mile for Seniors” Awards ceremony will celebrate “650 years of collective service.”In an announcement today, Colleen Wellborn, Chair of the AVENS Board of Directors said the event highlights dedicated staff, whose contributions are “vital” to the older adult community.

Youth suspect arrested following social media threats

A youth suspect has been arrested by Hay River RCMP after police were made aware of a threatening post on social media made yesterday.