100.1 GO FM - We're Your Feel Good Pop Station

GNWT will restart collection of airport fees in the new year

The GNWT will restart collecting airport fees at all airports across the territory on January 1, 2021.

The various fee waiving measures cost the territory $6.3 million in revenue.

The fees were waived in three waves.

The first round of stimulus measures included the waiving of “airport landing fees” from March 20 to June 30, 2020. 

The second round included waiving leases, licenses and concession fees for all businesses at all airports from April 1 to June 30, 2020.  Both measures were extended from July 1 to December 31, 2020.

In a statement from the Department on Infrastructure, restarting the collection of fees will ensure airports “have the funds to safely operate.”

“The revenue generated through airport fees enables essential investments in airport infrastructure, improvement projects and maintenance activities,” the statement read. “Airport maintenance and improvements are especially important in the NWT, where residents and industry depend on safe, secure, accessible and reliable air travel.”

Brian Harrold, one of the owners of Northwestern Air, said having the fees waived have enabled airlines to minimize the losses suffered during COVID-19.

“For the private companies to come up with that additional funds is going to be a bit of a stretch,” said Harrold. “Especially when — if it’s in January — I mean, that’s historically a low travel time anyways, especially now without any of the Christmas travel. It’s gonna sting.”

Harrold said most of the people travelling now are essential workers or people travelling for medical appointments. He added that the number of people flying “barely pays the gas, let alone anything else.”

“In April, we had flights — we’ve had this on and off for quite a while — to Edmonton where we took three people down, two of them were doctors that were doing rotations, and one of them was a person going down for chemotherapy,” said Harrold.

Harrold said his airline may face going into long-term debt and is looking at reducing the frequency of trips they make, to cope with the impacts of reduced ridership.

The GNWT had waived a number of transport fees with the aim of reducing the financial impact on businesses caused by COVID-19.

The GNWT started collecting fees for crossings at the Deh Cho Bridge on October 31, after waiving the fees for more than six months.

The loss in fees cost the territory more than a million dollars in revenue, according to the GNWT’s estimates. Those figures were less than a third of what the revenue had been in 2019 for the same period.

Bailey Moreton
Bailey Moreton
Bailey is new to the north, arriving from Ottawa where he studied journalism at Carleton University. He has worked for newspapers in Halifax, Windsor, and Ottawa. He came to the north hoping to see polar bears. He will settle for a bison. If you have a tip, send it to 905 252-9781, or [email protected].

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Yellowknife Fire Fighter Association campout fundraiser to be held this weekend

The Yellowknife Fire Fighter Association will be holding a campout this weekend on the roof of the Yellowknife CO-OP to raise funds and awareness for Muscular Dystrophy Canada. 

Search continues for ways to deal with 200,000 tons of arsenic dust at Giant Mine

Scientists presented projects for a more permanent solution to hundreds of thousands of tons arsenic dust from the mine. One method uses local beer to fuel a transformation of the toxic dust, while another tries to turn it into glass. Another proposed method looks at turning the dust into a highly sought commodity known as metallic arsenic. Additional proposals look whether robotic technology could allow crews to virtually pilot the extraction of the dust while “sipping coffee” from a distance.

Yellowknife group calls on leaders to prevent unregulated weapons exports

Amid the extreme cold wild chill temperatures of -50 degrees Celsius, a local activist group held a rally today outside of Minister MP Rebecca Alty’s office in Yellowknife, calling leaders to back Bill C-233 to help prevent the unregulated movement of weapons. The group called on territorial and federal leaders to stand behind a proposed law aimed to prevent unregulated weapons and weapon component exports into the U.S.

65 year old in custody after alleged robbery at Dollarama in Yellowknife

A 65 year old suspect remains in custody after police received a report of an armed robbery yesterday at Dollarama in Yellowknife. On Feb. 16 Yellowknife RCMP received a report that a suspect had allegedly “pulled a knife” on staff reportedly fleeing on foot with a “quantity” of merchandise from the store.

Yellowknife RCMP take youth suspect into custody after firearms complaint

Yellowknife RCMP have taken a youth suspect into custody following a firearms complaint.