100.1 GO FM - We're Your Feel Good Pop Station

GNWT will restart collection of airport fees in the new year

The GNWT will restart collecting airport fees at all airports across the territory on January 1, 2021.

The various fee waiving measures cost the territory $6.3 million in revenue.

The fees were waived in three waves.

The first round of stimulus measures included the waiving of “airport landing fees” from March 20 to June 30, 2020. 

The second round included waiving leases, licenses and concession fees for all businesses at all airports from April 1 to June 30, 2020.  Both measures were extended from July 1 to December 31, 2020.

In a statement from the Department on Infrastructure, restarting the collection of fees will ensure airports “have the funds to safely operate.”

“The revenue generated through airport fees enables essential investments in airport infrastructure, improvement projects and maintenance activities,” the statement read. “Airport maintenance and improvements are especially important in the NWT, where residents and industry depend on safe, secure, accessible and reliable air travel.”

Brian Harrold, one of the owners of Northwestern Air, said having the fees waived have enabled airlines to minimize the losses suffered during COVID-19.

“For the private companies to come up with that additional funds is going to be a bit of a stretch,” said Harrold. “Especially when — if it’s in January — I mean, that’s historically a low travel time anyways, especially now without any of the Christmas travel. It’s gonna sting.”

Harrold said most of the people travelling now are essential workers or people travelling for medical appointments. He added that the number of people flying “barely pays the gas, let alone anything else.”

“In April, we had flights — we’ve had this on and off for quite a while — to Edmonton where we took three people down, two of them were doctors that were doing rotations, and one of them was a person going down for chemotherapy,” said Harrold.

Harrold said his airline may face going into long-term debt and is looking at reducing the frequency of trips they make, to cope with the impacts of reduced ridership.

The GNWT had waived a number of transport fees with the aim of reducing the financial impact on businesses caused by COVID-19.

The GNWT started collecting fees for crossings at the Deh Cho Bridge on October 31, after waiving the fees for more than six months.

The loss in fees cost the territory more than a million dollars in revenue, according to the GNWT’s estimates. Those figures were less than a third of what the revenue had been in 2019 for the same period.

Bailey Moreton
Bailey Moreton
Bailey is new to the north, arriving from Ottawa where he studied journalism at Carleton University. He has worked for newspapers in Halifax, Windsor, and Ottawa. He came to the north hoping to see polar bears. He will settle for a bison. If you have a tip, send it to 905 252-9781, or [email protected].

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Task Force Grizzly push full steam ahead after braving weeks of 24/7 extreme cold

Over 200 members of the 41 Canadian Brigade group, part of the militia known as Task Force Grizzly, were out on (and in) a frozen lake in Yellowknife on Friday morning. They were there participating in an ice rescue exercise on the last leg of what was a two week mission for some. The brigade was part of a larger mission known as Operation Nanook-Nuvailivut, made up of members of Joint Task Force North who travelled from Edmonton to Yellowknife

Ambe Chenemu makes way for Black Histories in North, makes way for change

A gathering of people from across the territory and beyond overflowed from the visitor centre space on Thursday evening in Yellowknife to hear Ambe Chenemu speak. Chemenu is the founder of BACupNorth, a Black Advocacy Coalition. A trailblazing community visionary, Chenemu is also a lead member of a number of advocacy groups, board chair for NWT Integrated and Community Services, along with leading a number of health, housing and economic development organizations.

Minister urges feds to provide long-term funding for Inuit Child First program

The government of Canada has announced a plan to extend funding for the Inuit Child First Initiative. In response, Education Minister Caitlin Cleveland said that it is a positive sign. The minister added that it remains unclear whether the guidelines for Inuit Child First or Jordan’s Principle have changed in a way that allows children and families to better access services in the N.W.T.

AVENS awards honour “650 years of collective service” for care workers

AVENS announced that they are holding a ceremony in honour of long-term staff at the facility, which first opened its doors over 40 years ago in the city of Yellowknife. The “Going the Extra Mile for Seniors” Awards ceremony will celebrate “650 years of collective service.”In an announcement today, Colleen Wellborn, Chair of the AVENS Board of Directors said the event highlights dedicated staff, whose contributions are “vital” to the older adult community.

Youth suspect arrested following social media threats

A youth suspect has been arrested by Hay River RCMP after police were made aware of a threatening post on social media made yesterday.