100.1 GO FM - We're Your Feel Good Pop Station

YK state of emergency extended to keep temporary day shelter running

Housing minister Paulie Chinna has extended the state of emergency in Yellowknife, which had been declared to establish a temporary day shelter.

The extension lasts until December 4, and “will be extended for as long as it is required,” according to a statement from the GNWT.

Jay Boast, spokesperson for the Department of Municipal and Community Affairs – the office that coordinates the GNWT’s public emergencies – said the public emergency would continue to be extended until the temporary day shelter was no longer needed.

The emergency had been initially declared because COVID-19 physical distancing restrictions had lowered capacity at the existing day shelter, displacing around 40 patrons, according to the GNWT.

“The resulting impact on clients in Yellowknife was considered an emergency with a need to secure temporary shelter with pending winter weather,” he wrote in an email. “As the underlying emergency circumstances have not changed, the state or emergency renewal was required to maintain these arrangements.”

The GNWT had previously said a temporary day shelter would be needed until March 31, 2021.

“The renewal of the state of emergency every 14 days will be required until emergency circumstances are mitigated,” Boast added.

When the state of emergency was declared on November 6, Ivan Russel head of the Emergency Management Organization said there were no plans to implement any other changes than setting up the temporary day shelter at the Side Door location.

The Side Door location was set up on November 9.

“When we invoked the Emergency Management Act following the event of COVID,” Russel said in a press conference on November 6, “when we decided not to keep the state of emergency in place, it was recognized that we may have to invoke it again, depending on how the situation changes.”

The GNWT has not said whether any other services or programs will be implemented under the Emergency Management Act. This is despite the new temporary day shelter, being run out of the former location for the Mine Safety Building – also the former home of the Side Door youth shelter – only having a capacity of 25 people including staff.

This leaves around 15 people displaced, according to the GNWT’s own numbers.

“The nature of these services sees clients coming-and-going throughout the day,” David Maguire, a spokesperson for the Department of Health and Social Services, said in an email. “So in any given day, the centres may serve more than their capacity as not all clients are accessing the services at the same time.”

“Through these day centre services we have a regular touch point with individuals who are homeless or under-housed and this allows the service providers to understand demand/need,” he added. “We will continue to monitor the capacity of the day centre services to determine if the expanded capacity meets the needs of those looking for a warm, safe place during the day.”

Bailey Moreton
Bailey Moreton
Bailey is new to the north, arriving from Ottawa where he studied journalism at Carleton University. He has worked for newspapers in Halifax, Windsor, and Ottawa. He came to the north hoping to see polar bears. He will settle for a bison. If you have a tip, send it to 905 252-9781, or [email protected].

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Search continues for ways to deal with 200,000 tons of arsenic dust at Giant Mine

Scientists presented projects for a more permanent solution to hundreds of thousands of tons arsenic dust from the mine. One method uses local beer to fuel a transformation of the toxic dust, while another tries to turn it into glass. Another proposed method looks at turning the dust into a highly sought commodity known as metallic arsenic. Additional proposals look whether robotic technology could allow crews to virtually pilot the extraction of the dust while “sipping coffee” from a distance.

Yellowknife group calls on leaders to prevent unregulated weapons exports

Amid the extreme cold wild chill temperatures of -50 degrees Celsius, a local activist group held a rally today outside of Minister MP Rebecca Alty’s office in Yellowknife, calling leaders to back Bill C-233 to help prevent the unregulated movement of weapons. The group called on territorial and federal leaders to stand behind a proposed law aimed to prevent unregulated weapons and weapon component exports into the U.S.

65 year old in custody after alleged robbery at Dollarama in Yellowknife

A 65 year old suspect remains in custody after police received a report of an armed robbery yesterday at Dollarama in Yellowknife. On Feb. 16 Yellowknife RCMP received a report that a suspect had allegedly “pulled a knife” on staff reportedly fleeing on foot with a “quantity” of merchandise from the store.

Yellowknife RCMP take youth suspect into custody after firearms complaint

Yellowknife RCMP have taken a youth suspect into custody following a firearms complaint.

New program hopes to assist youth in crisis in Yellowknife

Home Base Yellowknife, Yellowknife Education District No. 1, Yellowknife Catholic Schools, and the Government of the Northwest Territories are collaborating on the Home Base Stabilization Education Program (STEP).