Some medical procedures paused for NT residents travelling to Alberta

NT residents looking to travel to Alberta for some elective procedures may be unable to do so, according to the health minister.

Health minister Julie Green issued a statement on Tuesday, saying some elective procedures for NT residents in Alberta may be altered or cancelled because of a surge of COVID-19 cases in Alberta and throughout the rest of Canada.

Alberta has the third highest rate of COVID-19 cases reported in Canada, with more than 11,000 new cases reported in the past two weeks.

Nationally, Canada saw its worst day for COVID-19 infections, reporting more 6,115 new cases  on Monday, more than double the peak during the first wave of COVID-19.

Green adds the “longstanding agreement” between Alberta and the Northwest Territories’ health departments to allow NT residents access to healthcare services will continue.

“The agreement allows NWT residents to be considered equally to Alberta residents in terms of prioritization and access to services, and Alberta Health Services has confirmed that this relationship will continue to be honored for services provided within their facilities as we move through the evolving pandemic situation,” Green said in a statement.

NT’s health department has told health practitioners to “carefully consider” all non-urgent referrals for medical procedures in Alberta.

“If NWT residents choose not to receive services in Alberta due to COVID-19 concerns they should contact their health care provider immediately,” the statement adds. 

“Additionally, residents who receive any pushback from health providers in Alberta should contact their local health care provider immediately so they can help rectify the situation.”

Residents who travel for medical appointments have to self-isolate when they return to the territory for 14 days.

The health department did not specify how many appointments or procedures will be cancelled or delayed, or what kinds of appointments explicitly will be cancelled or referred.

Some services, like substance abuse rehabilitation facilities, are not offered in the north. It is not clear how those services will be impacted.

Bailey Moreton
Bailey Moreton
Bailey is new to the north, arriving from Ottawa where he studied journalism at Carleton University. He has worked for newspapers in Halifax, Windsor, and Ottawa. He came to the north hoping to see polar bears. He will settle for a bison. If you have a tip, send it to 905 252-9781, or [email protected].

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Fort Simpson police ask for assistance in shooting investigation

Fort Simpson RCMP are asking for assistance from the public in relation to their ongoing investigation into a shooting last week.

$55 million contract awarded for housing development on 54th Avenue

Housing NWT has announced that a construction contract for a 64-unit housing development in Yellowknife has been awarded to PCL Construction.

Norman Wells RCMP respond to reports of bootlegging activity

One suspect has been charged by Norman Wells RCMP following their response to reports of bootlegging activity within the community.

Housing NWT launches new Technical Team pilot project

Housing NWT has announced their new Technical Team pilot project in the Beaufort Delta, Sahtu, and Nahendeh districts to improve the delivery of repairs and provide preventative maintenance.

U.S. delays Canadian tariffs three days as Trump claims trade deal

The United States postponed planned 50 per cent tariffs on a range of Canadian goods for three days as U.S. President Donald Trump said the two countries had reached a trade deal.