100.1 GO FM - We're Your Feel Good Pop Station

Northern travel bubble with Nunavut suspended

The Northwest Territories’ travel bubble with Nunavut has been suspended, after a surge of COVID-19 cases in Nunavut.

The bubble, implemented back in June, had allowed travellers from Nunavut to travel within NT without self-isolating for 14 days.

As of November 17 at 12 p.m., anyone who wishes to travel into the Northwest Territories from Nunavut must follow the process for other travellers from Canada, including filing a self-isolation plan and isolating for 14 days, unless they are an essential worker or have other exemptions.

Those requirements to earn an exemption remain the same as they were previously.

Nunavut patients traveling to NT for for medical treatment will be allowed to travel, but “must self-isolate when they are not attending their medical appointments,” according to a statement from the Department of Health and Social Services.

All Arviat, Rankin Inlet, and Sanikiluaq travellers already in the territory must self-isolate immediately, the statment said.

Anyone who is currently within the Northwest Territories and has traveled from Arviat, Rankin Inlet, or Sanikiluaq within the last 14 days must also self-isolate immediately for 14 days from the date of their arrival in the Northwest Territories, adds the statement.

Bailey Moreton
Bailey Moreton
Bailey is new to the north, arriving from Ottawa where he studied journalism at Carleton University. He has worked for newspapers in Halifax, Windsor, and Ottawa. He came to the north hoping to see polar bears. He will settle for a bison. If you have a tip, send it to 905 252-9781, or [email protected].

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Yellowknife group calls out for support on No More Loopholes Act

A local advocacy group are calling on territorial and federal leaders to stand behind a proposed law aimed to prevent unregulated weapons and weapon component exports into the U.S. The group is hoping that leaders will back Bill C-233 to help prevent the unregulated movement of weapons.

Federal Environment Minister warns health of Mackenzie River Basin at risk

In an announcement issued last week, federal Environment Minister Julie Dabrusin acknowledged that the critical basin is facing “water quality, quantity” challenges due to industrial activities and climate change. "[T]he health of the river basin is challenged by impacts to water quality, quantity and traditional use due to industrial activities, and by climate change impacts such as increasing sediment from melting permafrost and changes to aquatic species,” said Minister Dabrusin.

Power outages in Fort McPherson and Inuvik

Two northern communities in the NWT experienced power outages this morning, but both issues have been resolved according to the Northwest Territories Power Cooperation. 

Areas of NWT’s north and south facing wind chill values as low as -60

Environment Canada has issued extreme cold alerts for northern and southern areas of of the N.W.T. with wind chill temperatures as low as minus 60 forecasted to extend into mid week.“A period of very cold wind chills near minus 50 will begin tonight and continue until Wednesday or Thursday,” read a message from forecasters with the agency

Young women and gender diverse leaders wanted in the North

The YWCA NWT and the Fora Network for Change are co-hosting two public events this week focused on advancing “equitable, inclusive” leadership opportunities for young women and gender diverse leaders in the North.