100.1 GO FM - We're Your Feel Good Pop Station

Update: Nunavut shuts down as ten new cases of COVID-19 reported

Update 11:50 a.m.: In a press conference on Monday, Nunavut’s Chief Public Health Officer Dr. Michael Patterson said there would no change to the northern travel bubble for people returning to Nunavut from the Northwest Territories.

Patterson added policies about people entering the Northwest Territories are the decision of NT’s CPHO, and Patterson said NT’s CPHO “may or may not want to revisit” the Northern travel bubble.

 

Nunavut is entering into a mandatory, territory wide restriction period for two weeks, after ten new cases of COVID-19 have been reported in Nunavut, bringing the territory’s total up to 18.

“Do not visit people, do not socialize outside your household, stay home if you feel even the little bit of sickness in you,” Nunavut Premier Joe Savikataaq said in a press conference on Monday, announcing the new.

Nine of the new cases are in Arviat — after the first case was reported in the community on Friday — where there is evidence of community spread, according to a statement from Nunavut’s Chief Public Health Officer.

All non-essential businesses will be required to close, including recreation facilities, bars, and childcare and healthcare centres will be open only to essential staff and for emergencies respectively. People must work at home, and schools will be providing remote learning services.

Masks are mandatory in the Kivalliq region, and Sanikiluaq.

The other case is Rankin Inlet. There is no risk of community spread in Rankin’s Inlet or Sanikiluaq, but contact tracing is ongoing in all three communities, with the “end goal to trace and contain the virus.”

All the individuals are isolating and doing well.

But in a press conference on Monday when the territory-wide restrictions were announced, Dr. Michael Patterson, Nunavut’s Chief Public Health Officer said there was concern COVID-19 could spread to other communities.

“Due to the number cases of COVID-19 in Arviat, anyone from Arviat who left the community on or after November 2 is being asked to immediately isolate for 14 days wherever they are,” Patterson said in a statement.

The statement from Patterson also emphasized the importance of following physical distancing restrictions and COVID-19 guidelines, including handwashing.

“In addition, to protect Elders in Arviat, there will be no visitors allowed at the Elders’ centre for at least two weeks,” Patterson added. “Exemptions to this rule will need to be approved by the public health doctor on call.”

Bailey Moreton
Bailey Moreton
Bailey is new to the north, arriving from Ottawa where he studied journalism at Carleton University. He has worked for newspapers in Halifax, Windsor, and Ottawa. He came to the north hoping to see polar bears. He will settle for a bison. If you have a tip, send it to 905 252-9781, or [email protected].

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Yellowknife group calls out for support on No More Loopholes Act

A local advocacy group are calling on territorial and federal leaders to stand behind a proposed law aimed to prevent unregulated weapons and weapon component exports into the U.S. The group is hoping that leaders will back Bill C-233 to help prevent the unregulated movement of weapons.

Federal Environment Minister warns health of Mackenzie River Basin at risk

In an announcement issued last week, federal Environment Minister Julie Dabrusin acknowledged that the critical basin is facing “water quality, quantity” challenges due to industrial activities and climate change. "[T]he health of the river basin is challenged by impacts to water quality, quantity and traditional use due to industrial activities, and by climate change impacts such as increasing sediment from melting permafrost and changes to aquatic species,” said Minister Dabrusin.

Power outages in Fort McPherson and Inuvik

Two northern communities in the NWT experienced power outages this morning, but both issues have been resolved according to the Northwest Territories Power Cooperation. 

Areas of NWT’s north and south facing wind chill values as low as -60

Environment Canada has issued extreme cold alerts for northern and southern areas of of the N.W.T. with wind chill temperatures as low as minus 60 forecasted to extend into mid week.“A period of very cold wind chills near minus 50 will begin tonight and continue until Wednesday or Thursday,” read a message from forecasters with the agency

Young women and gender diverse leaders wanted in the North

The YWCA NWT and the Fora Network for Change are co-hosting two public events this week focused on advancing “equitable, inclusive” leadership opportunities for young women and gender diverse leaders in the North.