100.1 GO FM - We're Your Feel Good Pop Station

Dig out your tents and coolers – NWT camping season is open

Camping season officially opens in the territory Friday as most NWT campgrounds open to the public.

The GNWT says it’s looking to build off a successful 2014 season, when more than 24,000 people visited campsites in the territory. Early indications suggest the 2015 season could be even better.

Last month, industry, tourism and investment (ITI) officials told Moose FM that online interest in booking NWT campsites appeared to be substantially higher this year compared to last.

When NWT Parks’ online reservation site went live on April 15, the GNWT said it took more than $100,000 in reservations in its first five hours.

Read: Booked Yours Yet? Interest In NWT Campsites Surges

“People travel from across Canada and around the world to enjoy the natural beauty and surroundings of the award-winning word-class park system that exists in our backyard,” said ITI minister David Ramsay in a statement.

“From thundering waterfalls to serene hiking trails and abundant wildlife and scenery, our parks are some of the most impressive tourist attractions in the country, but they also contribute enormously to the quality of life that we enjoy here in Canada’s North.”

Ramsay says the government has committed $2.5-million to upgrade and maintain NWT parks this year.

He says campers in the Yellowknife area can look forward to improvements to the marina and shoreline at Prelude Lake as well as a new loop at Fred Henne Territorial Park.

Outdoor enthusiasts in the South Slave region meanwhile, will notice new shower buildings at Hay River Territorial Park.

Beach safety programs, including the use of waterfront attendants, will be continued at both territorial parks this summer.

Mike Gibbins
Mike Gibbins
Hello and thank you for listening to 100.1 Moose FM! To contact me, you can email me, find me on Twitter or call (867) 920-4663.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Search continues for ways to deal with 200,000 tons of arsenic dust at Giant Mine

Scientists presented projects for a more permanent solution to hundreds of thousands of tons arsenic dust from the mine. One method uses local beer to fuel a transformation of the toxic dust, while another tries to turn it into glass. Another proposed method looks at turning the dust into a highly sought commodity known as metallic arsenic. Additional proposals look whether robotic technology could allow crews to virtually pilot the extraction of the dust while “sipping coffee” from a distance.

Yellowknife group calls on leaders to prevent unregulated weapons exports

Amid the extreme cold wild chill temperatures of -50 degrees Celsius, a local activist group held a rally today outside of Minister MP Rebecca Alty’s office in Yellowknife, calling leaders to back Bill C-233 to help prevent the unregulated movement of weapons. The group called on territorial and federal leaders to stand behind a proposed law aimed to prevent unregulated weapons and weapon component exports into the U.S.

65 year old in custody after alleged robbery at Dollarama in Yellowknife

A 65 year old suspect remains in custody after police received a report of an armed robbery yesterday at Dollarama in Yellowknife. On Feb. 16 Yellowknife RCMP received a report that a suspect had allegedly “pulled a knife” on staff reportedly fleeing on foot with a “quantity” of merchandise from the store.

Yellowknife RCMP take youth suspect into custody after firearms complaint

Yellowknife RCMP have taken a youth suspect into custody following a firearms complaint.

New program hopes to assist youth in crisis in Yellowknife

Home Base Yellowknife, Yellowknife Education District No. 1, Yellowknife Catholic Schools, and the Government of the Northwest Territories are collaborating on the Home Base Stabilization Education Program (STEP).