Dominion’s financial uncertainty threatens Ekati and Diavik mines

Continuing financial troubles for the Dominion Diamond Mining company is putting the future of around 1,000 workers in jeopardy at two different mines.

The company owes the co-owners of the Diavik Diamond Mine, DDMI, more than $120 million in payments for operation fees.

Dominion has been unable to pay those fees since they filed for creditor protection — essentially a pause button on debt payments so the company can restructure its finances — back in April. They had been planning to move out of creditor protection and restart operations at Ekati Mine when it was sold.

But instead, Dominion saw the collapse of its sale of Ekati to its parent company. The Washington Companies because three different insurance companies rejected the deal.

Around 1,000 workers are employed at the two mines.  Dominion has had to furlough most of its staff since it shuttered operations back in April. It has already permanently laid off some staff and warned more job losses could follow.

“There doesn’t seem to be any accountability on the part of these corporations to act in the best interests of northerners,” said Todd Parsons, Union of Northern Workers president in a statement when the Ekati sale failed.

On October 30, an Alberta court will be asked to give DDMI permission to begin selling off Dominion’s share of diamonds from Diavik. 

This is happening as there is “no realistic chance” Dominion will be able to pay its debts to DDMI, according to an affidavit signed by Thomas Croese, the finance manager of the Diavik mine.

DDMI, owned by Rio Tinto has been paying Dominion’s share of operations cost since the company entered creditor protection back in April. The total debt Dominion has racked is nearly $120 million, plus more than two million in interest, according to the affidavit.

DDMI needs an advance on its finances to be able to continue to pay for Diavik’s operations. But Rio Tinto is refusing to front more cash until it secures repayment on the $120 million Dominion already owes.

The Diavik Mine’s continued operation is at risk in the present circumstances, adds the affidavit.

The affidavit cited WWW Diamond Forecasts, who called for reducing the supply of diamonds to help boost prices, with demand likely to continue to be low during the COVID-19 pandemic.

“Economic uncertainty is unlikely to dissipate in the near-term which will continue to be a drag on any recovery in diamond jewellery sales,” wrote Croese in the affidavit.

In a presentation of the update to its 2020 budget, Finance Minister Caroline Wawzonek said the slowdown in the diamond market has been “quite significant.” 

This is impacting territorial revenues as well. The GNWT lost around $30 million as a result of the slowdown in sales from the diamond mines shrinking the royalties the territory received.

Bailey Moreton
Bailey Moreton
Bailey is new to the north, arriving from Ottawa where he studied journalism at Carleton University. He has worked for newspapers in Halifax, Windsor, and Ottawa. He came to the north hoping to see polar bears. He will settle for a bison. If you have a tip, send it to 905 252-9781, or [email protected].

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

$55 million contract awarded for housing development on 54th Avenue

Housing NWT has announced that a construction contract for a 64-unit housing development in Yellowknife has been awarded to PCL Construction.

Norman Wells RCMP respond to reports of bootlegging activity

One suspect has been charged by Norman Wells RCMP following their response to reports of bootlegging activity within the community.

Housing NWT launches new Technical Team pilot project

Housing NWT has announced their new Technical Team pilot project in the Beaufort Delta, Sahtu, and Nahendeh districts to improve the delivery of repairs and provide preventative maintenance.

U.S. delays Canadian tariffs three days as Trump claims trade deal

The United States postponed planned 50 per cent tariffs on a range of Canadian goods for three days as U.S. President Donald Trump said the two countries had reached a trade deal.

Candidate College to be held in September

With October’s municipal election fast approaching, the City of Yellowknife has announced that they will be holding a second session of their Candidate College.